Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    According to this Kurt Steiner did run the 5000 in Evanston, failing to finish. (Incidentally, there's a picture on the following page of an unnamed not very happy runner; don't ask me if Steiner's the one in it, but there are similarities.)

Great find! The first picture is definitely Kurt Steiner. He's wearing an Aberdeen uniform, but it appears to be a basketball jersey. The photo on the next page is someone else, however, as both the jersey and shorts are different.

The neat thing is that no newspapers I've seen list Steiner in the race, nor as a scratch. But the problem remains that the 5000 took place on the first day of the Trials, not the second day. So something still doesn't jibe.

Comment

I think the Springmaid ad is very clever...now how do I find the LIFE magazine referred to.?

Comment

Given that the caption on the LIFE magazine photo of the sobbing runner so closely matches the description of BillVol’s dad, I think this must be the same incident. I also agree with dj that the runner pictured is not Steiner. Besides the date and uniform discrepancies, the magazine describes Steiner’s racing mindset as almost a lark with zero expectation of keeping up with the leaders.

I think the runner pictured (and the despondent runner in the op) was Gerald Karver, one of the two suggested by rhymans.

Exhibit A is the photo of Karver shown with this article, which shows that the runner under the bleachers was almost certainly wearing a Penn State kit:

http://www.pottsmerc.com/sports/2014...s-hall-of-fame.

Exhibit B is the description on page 4 of the July 7, 1948 edition of The Summer Collegian (Penn State’s student newspaper) of the pre-race expectations on Karver. After winning the 1947 IC4A-NCAA-AAU triple, he was in a funk in 1948 that puzzled his coach and the student journalist.

http://digitalnewspapers.libraries.p...001-SINGLE.pdf

The pressure is terrific on the eve of the Olympics, and we're afraid that Jerry is attempting to live up to his reputation instead of just going out and running races.

Comment

BTW, after 60+ years, although my dad's mind is very sharp, there is always the chance he got his days mixed up in reliving this experience.

BTW, I sent him the link to the Life article and he said that was the scene he was writing about. And his dad (Evanston PD officer) is the third cop standing in the second picture.

He was quite freaked out to see these images.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
            now how do I find the LIFE magazine referred to.?
            The link is embedded in the third word ("this") in Lopen's post. Click on that.

Comment

Fun stuff, indeed.
              The high jump pic on page 23 is worth noting.
              IF the photo is really a 2.04 clearance (an assumption I tend to doubt), then McGrew's center of mass is astoundingly high.
              Never mind flop technique, simply use the sam altitude with a slightly different dive straddle technique and the result would be at least a reasonable chance for a 7 foot jump.

Comment

Originally posted by jc203 View Post
                Fun stuff, indeed.
                The high jump pic on page 23 is worth noting.
                IF the photo is really a 2.04 clearance (an assumption I tend to doubt), then McGrew's center of mass is astoundingly high.
                Never mind flop technique, simply use the sam altitude with a slightly different dive straddle technique and the result would be at least a reasonable chance for a 7 foot jump.
                To me it seems like McGrew has hit the bar and it is on the way down. McGrew himself has already passed the top of his jump and is on the way down toward the pit preparing for a typical Western roll landing. At the high point of his jump he would be on his side.

Comment

Bob Chambers was my brother's Jr Col coach where he broke the 4x880 natl mark. They also had a 4x440 team that broke the natl record. 440 and 880 guys regularly dominated.

Chambers was a greatly loved coach and led his runners to reach the higher echelons of competition. I trained with them for intermittent periods of time during HS. Chambers was joined with "Atis" Pete Peterson and maybe (if memory serves and it might not) Hal Harkness - both So Cal legends.

Coach Chambers passed away a few years ago.

Comment

BillVol left out the fact that Harrison Dillard did in fact go to the 1948 Games and won the 100 meters. Not that there is anyone in the thread who didn't know this.

Comment

I didn't write it, uncle. But nothing was "left out," since, as you said, everyone knows this.

Comment

Working...
                      X