Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Duke Track and Field Trivia

Duke had ACC champions in 1958 and in 1963 in 2 different Field events by athletes that achieved much greater fame in other endeavors than these 2 events. Who were these Duke athletes and what were the events they won these Field ACC titles in ?

I would guess Dave Sime 1958 long jump.

Comment

You are half right with Dave Sime, but it was not the LJ.
      Hint : Sime in 1958, and the other guy in 1963, both won the same event.

Comment

When I think of Duke 1963, I think of Art Heyman, but I don't recall that he ever did any sport other than basketball.

Comment

Jeff Mullins? Also went on to being one of my favorite basketball color commentators.

Comment

Since Sime came there as a baseball player, must be the javelin ?

Typically a football quarterback could also throw the javelin?

Comment

I really don't know but how about Mike Curtis in 1963 - he was in school then. At first you said it was different field events but then you said it was the same event.

Comment

You got it, Bruce. Sime won the JT in 1958 ( along with a few other events... )

Comment

Never precisely said it was 2 different events... left it a bit mushy. In any event it indeed was Mike Curtis that won the JT. Mike was a classmate, not the friendliest guy around but a great athlete. He showed up for an intramural softball throw contest and won it by about 40 feet. He had never thrown a javelin in his life, but Coach Chambers ( head Track Coach and Football Trainer ) grabbed him and gave him a track uniform after that.
                  He of course went on to greater fame as an All-Pro linebacker with the Baltimore Colts.

Bambam of course only gets partial credit for this correct answer due to his unfair advantage.

Comment

My favorite Mike Curtis moment where he lays out a drunken fan who tried to take the ball from the field (no sound for some reason): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdP2G7UtS9I

Comment

one of the best NFL clips ever

Comment

Frank Bassett was head of Duke sports med from 1962-1993 and was a resident there in the 1950s. He saw every great Duke athlete for about 40 years. I asked him one time in the 1990s who he thought was the greatest ever Duke athlete. He did not hesitate and said, "Dave Sime."

Comment

Al Buehler once told me that Sime was such a freak that he would do a warm-up by running one lap (probably 440 then), and would do it in about 48-49 seconds - as his warm-up.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                            Frank Bassett was head of Duke sports med from 1962-1993 and was a resident there in the 1950s. He saw every great Duke athlete for about 40 years. I asked him one time in the 1990s who he thought was the greatest ever Duke athlete. He did not hesitate and said, "Dave Sime."
                            HEY !! What about you and me ???!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                              HEY !! What about you and me ???!!!
                              Dave Sime and I have several things in common - 1) we both went to Duke, 2) we both became doctors, and 3) we were both born in Paterson, New Jersey.

Athletic ability is not on that list.

Comment

Working...
                              X