Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeff Novitzky, doping investigator and high jumper?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Novitzky, doping investigator and high jumper?

You've probably heard of Jeff Novitzky, the investigator who researched the Barry Bonds, Lance Armstrong and Marion Jones cases.

In his book "The Secret Race" cyclist Tyler Hamilton says Novitzky was a track star who high jumped seven feet. Can anybody verify this for me?

http://lynbrooksports.prepcaltrack.c...6/statepgm.pdf

Page 9 -

Jeff Novitzky (Central Coast's Mills, Millbrae) leads entrants
    in the High Jump with a 7-0 best.
    There are no strings on me

Comment

Thanks, guru. Very interesting newsletter you found there by the way.

There is a weird entry on p.11. It say the boys HJ record is 52-10 1/2 from 1908. The high jump is likely a typo for triple jump. But that distance was first achieved in the 1950's by da Silva. I wonder what that entry is all about.

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
        Thanks, guru. Very interesting newsletter you found there by the way.

There is a weird entry on p.11. It say the boys HJ record is 52-10 1/2 from 1908. The high jump is likely a typo for triple jump. But that distance was first achieved in the 1950's by da Silva. I wonder what that entry is all about.
        Should be 1980 for the TJ.

Comment

One additional problem with the TJ record listed at the bottom of p.11, which is captioned as State Meet Records:

Mayfield's 52-10½ was achieved several weeks before the state meet in 1980, so it should not be listed as the State Meet Record. Mayfield did set a State Meet Record in 1980 of 51-7½ (in the qualifying round--he was just 3rd in the final), but that meet record was broken the next year by Ken Frazier (52-4¾).

Mayfield's 52-10½ was a CA HS record in 1980, but that mark was exceeded in 1984 by Joe Richardson (53-6½) at the GWI.

So Mayfield held neither the Meet Record nor the State Record at the time of publication of this 1986 state meet program.

[Source: The CA HS Track & Field Meet 1915-2006 by board regular tc].

Comment

Back to Novitzky, although he won the Central Coast Section CIF title in 1986 (6-8) he cleared just 6-6 at the State Meet and did not qualify for the final.

It is not clear whether he competed at all in college. Standing 6'7", he was also a basketball player who tried to walk on at Arizona but ended up transferring to San Jose State. However, he was not listed in an historical index of SJS hoops letter-winners.

So he may have retired from sports to focus on getting an accounting degree. It would not surprise me to find out that an injury was involved.

Comment

On this site: http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndFiel...?SchoolID=1122

Novitsky is overlooked completely on the Mills HS lists.
              Flaws on the list, however, are evident on even cursory inspection... Adam Tafralis, for example, is credited with a 61 ft 3.75 inch shot put with a 10 lb. implement but no 12 lb. mark at all. And there is a separate entry for "JV" shot.
              Say what?
              School records appear to be compiled only since the advent of the website. What a crock.
              Last edited by jc203; 07-21-2015, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jc203 View Post
                On this site: http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndFiel...?SchoolID=1122

School records appear to be compiled only since the advent of the website. What a crock.

Obviously if results arent in the database they can't be culled for records. Milesplit works the same way(though the webmaster can manually correct school record listings for older performances)
                There are no strings on me

Comment

I've always felt that a good plan for catching dopers in sports would be for the FBI to recruit a handful of elite athletes while they're still in college to pursue criminal justice degrees and work as informants while they're competing. All athletes know that no matter how good they are, eventually Father Time will catch up with them and they'll have to do something other than sports. Certainly, the FBI should be able to find a few pro athletes who are interested law enforcement and like the idea of feathering their nest for their post-competition days.

Comment

Mills HS school records

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
                    Back to Novitzky, although he won the Central Coast Section CIF title in 1986 (6-8) he cleared just 6-6 at the State Meet and did not qualify for the final.

It is not clear whether he competed at all in college. Standing 6'7", he was also a basketball player who tried to walk on at Arizona but ended up transferring to San Jose State. However, he was not listed in an historical index of SJS hoops letter-winners.

So he may have retired from sports to focus on getting an accounting degree. It would not surprise me to find out that an injury was involved.
                    Novitsky cleared 7-0 at Stanford Invite while taking 1st:

http://lynbrooksports.prepcaltrack.c...6/stanford.pdf

The current Mills track coach took the job and found that there was no hard copy of the school's Track & Field records. It's something that he plans to work on but it will take ALOT of time to research. The best I was able to help him out with was the 1962 records but that still leaves 40 years of research (I think he started in 2002ish).

http://lynbrooksports.prepcaltrack.c...K/sr_mills.pdf

If anyone has a more recent version, send to me at hanklawtrack at gmail...

hank

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                      I've always felt that a good plan for catching dopers in sports would be for the FBI to recruit a handful of elite athletes while they're still in college to pursue criminal justice degrees and work as informants while they're competing. All athletes know that no matter how good they are, eventually Father Time will catch up with them and they'll have to do something other than sports. Certainly, the FBI should be able to find a few pro athletes who are interested law enforcement and like the idea of feathering their nest for their post-competition days.
                      yeah, joining the rat squad is a career path that sooo many people want to take!

Comment

While I almost always agree with jazzy, I think the FBI has more important things to do with their recruiting than going after sports doping. I would prefer they hire more agents to keep up safer from terrorists.

Comment

As a participant in horse racing, which is rampant with PED cheating, I disagree. If the FBI spent a week in racing they could virtually clean house. I would welcome their help.

Comment

Working...
                          X