Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actual running distances

Are there any sources out there that tally the actual number of meters covered in a race?

Something like this..
    1st bend - middle of lane 2 = 4.40m
    2nd bend - inner half of lane 2 = 3.77m
    3rd bend - inner half of lane 2 = 3.77m
    4th bend - wide in lane 2 (between middle and lane 3, which he actually touches for several strides) = c. 5.5m
    5th bend - middle lane 2 = 4.4m
    6th bend - inner half of lane 2 = 3.77m
    7th bend- wide in lane 1 for about 60m to get past Gonzales = c. 1.5m
    Total distance extra run = 27.11m. That's a conservative estimate.
    That's equivalent to a 3:37.7 for 1500m.
    He ran about an extra 15-20m further than Cram. He should have won comfortably.

He had no one directly in front of him drafting, between 100 - 200, 500 -650, 700 - 850 and 950 - 1100m. That's a total of 550m * (1/400m) = 1.375sec. Giving an overall time of 3:36.3.

He ran 815.17m over the last 2 laps, which he covered in 1:49.2, which is equivalent to a 1:47.1 last 800m in a 3:36.3 race.
    He ran 405m over the last lap of 51.0, which is equivalent to 50.3.
    So Coe's run was equivalent to a 3:36.3 with a last 800 of 1:47.2, last 400 of 50.3, 300 of 37.6 and 200 of 25.0.

Read more: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_re...#ixzz3geB2yGLt

For each curve run, it is 3.83m more distance per lane, or 7.66m per lap. Since lane widths are all the same, the curve radius doesn't have any impact on this.

Comment

Lane widths are supposed to be all the same, but they're not. In this country, there are still 42-inch tracks out there. That, of course, changes the extra distance run per lap per lane.

Comment

Maybe even some ancient 36-inchers?

Comment

Do all these fancy #'s up above re measured " from the middle of the lane" remember the fact that actual measurement is from (x) centimeters or inches from the outer edges of the stripes for lanes 2-8, and (x+y) for lane 1 ? ( I do not know the x and y values off hand)

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
            Do all these fancy #'s up above re measured " from the middle of the lane" remember the fact that actual measurement is from (x) centimeters or inches from the outer edges of the stripes for lanes 2-8, and (x+y) for lane 1 ? ( I do not know the x and y values off hand)
            Curbed tracks are measured 30cm from the inside, and non-curbed are measured 20cm. At first thought, that shouldn't really effect anything. I will consider it to make sure.

Comment

I assume from the above that it is 30 cm in lane 1 ( if curbed ) and 20 cm in 2-8. I knew there was a difference, I just did not recall the #'s.

Comment

For example, I would like to see how far these guys (Coe, Rudisha, Kipleter, Cruz). convered in their best 800m races.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                  I assume from the above that it is 30 cm in lane 1 ( if curbed ) and 20 cm in 2-8. I knew there was a difference, I just did not recall the #'s.
                  Yes, and after some thought...

The lane 1 to lane 2 difference is only 7.04m on a curbed track (less than 7.66m for all other lane differences), because it is going from a 30cm measurement to a 20cm measurement. On a track that wasn't meant to be curbed, it should be 7.66m per lane.

Thanks for pointing that out.

In case anyone is wondering, because the two curved portions of a track are semi-circles, the increase in lane length is simple the change in circumference.
                  7.66m = 2 x pi x 1.22m
                  7.04m = 2 x pi x 1.12m

Comment

Working...
                  X