Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HJ WR Trivia: Who Am I?

At one point in my career I finished 2nd to marks next to each other in the World Record progression (i.e., there was a WR, I was 2nd, and when the WR was broken I was 2nd again). What makes it really interesting is that the two WR breakers used different styles and I used yet a third.

Who am I, and who are the other two and how did we all jump?

Re: HJ WR Trivia: Who Am I?

A wild guess. Balas-scissors, Meyfarth-flop, Blagoyeva straddle. Am I even close?
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Reynaldo?

Would you be classic straddler Reynaldo Brown, second to Matzdorf's unique bent-leg thing at Berkeley in 71 and to Dwight's flop at Munchen in 73?

Comment

I think PEGO's on the right track !

Comment

Blagoyeva was only 14 when Balas set her last WR. I was wondering how many people I could suck into the wrong sex by using gender-neutral verbiage.

Tom has it right (although as somebody noted earlier, Matzdorf's style wasn't "unique"; just unusual).

Comment

Great question Garry. (not that you would care what I think). I used to do a workout where I played the roles of Brumel, Matzdorf, Fosbury (I had to jump off my right leg) and myself. I would do a whole competition and had to copy their styles. Another fond memory of all the years I trained alone. To this day I can not bear to train with anyone.

Comment

>Great question Garry. (not that you would care what I think). I used to do a
              >workout where I played the roles of Brumel, Matzdorf, Fosbury (I had to jump
              >off my right leg) and myself. I would do a whole competition and had to copy
              >their styles. Another fond memory of all the years I trained alone. To this
              >day I can not bear to train with anyone.

Did you take on their personna's as well, like speaking with a dialect, or anything?
              "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

Indeed the perfect trivia question, Garry.
                Hey Ed why limit yourself to Matzdorf, Brumel and Fosbury? Even I could do a fair impression of Sweeney and a decent one of Horine.

Comment

Their forms were not burned into my memory, otherwise I would have. This is when I was in high school and if you did a whole comp as those guys it was a LOT of jumps. But fun.

Comment

in 1961, when I saw pictures of Bobby Avant's dive style, then saw him in the flesh at the AAU meet at Randall's Island in NY, I spent about a week "teaching myself" his style, abandoning my self-taught Western Roll. Used Avant's Dive for about a year before I "taught" myself the Straddle.

Comment

A quick question. Is the "Western Roll" the same as "Horine"?
                      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Yes, The Western Roll was invented by George Horine around 1912. The way the story goes is that at Stanford Horine used to practice at a field where it was only possible to do the run-up from one side. Since that was the wrong side as far as Horine was concerned he came up with the idea of taking off with his inside foot and then roll over the bar on his side.

Comment

Working...
                        X