Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Mikki Gorman

Miki Gorman, Women’s Marathon Pioneer, Dies at 80. Boston and New York City winner was a key figure in the early days of big-city marathons

She was, I think, the last American (even if of Japanese origin) to win NY (maybe Joanie won Boston later, in 1979). She also had a marathon PR of 2:39 (over age 40, second fastest in the world at the time). She ran with Lazlo Tabor for the LA Athletic Club in the early days of woman's marathoning.

She also was at my brother's wedding (because of the LAAC connection) where I got to talk with her as I had just run my first marathon while running part of the way with a training partner of hers, Jackie Hansen.

Several years later, I was running the first 20 miles of the Pasadena (Rose Bowl) marathon and soon intersected her in her quest to set the Masters record for the Half Marathon (which I think she got, maybe at 75:xx). The interesting thing is that we ran for three miles together, stride fore stride -- I am almost 5'11" and she is just 4'11"; that is part of being a world-class runner, the great range of motion that I did not have.
Working...
X