African American Female Marathoning History - Needing Assistance!

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaryC
    • Jul 2007

African American Female Marathoning History - Needing Assistance!

African American Female Marathoners Question?
    I want to confirm that these three statements are correct.
    I’m confident in the first two and if they are incorrect I’m in touch with
    both ladies to confirm. It’s the third statement that I may be missing someone who has broken 2:40 in the marathon.

1. Ella Willis at the 1975 Motor City Marathon was the first African American female to win
    a marathon.
    2. Marilyn Bevans was the first sub 3 hour, world class Africa American female runner. She achieved this at the 1975 NY Marathon.
    3. Ella Willis in winning the 1988 Detroit Free Press Marathon In 2:38:22 still holds the distinction of running the all-time fastest marathon by an American born African American female.
  • Master Po
    • Oct 2005
    • north coast USA

On question #3, I think you are missing Samia Akbar (dob 12/31/81), 2:34:14 (NYC 2006). She also ran 2:39.19 at the 2008 OT. Ran WC marathon in Osaka 2007. She is from Herndon VA, graduated from Oakton HS & American University.

Comment

• jazzcyclist
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by GaryC View Post
      Ella Willis in winning the 1988 Detroit Free Press Marathon In 2:38:22 still holds the distinction of running the all-time fastest marathon by an American born African American female.
      I was just looking at T&FN's all-time top-10 list for American females, and I presume that everyone on it is an American-born European-American. Am I correct? If so, do you know the record for a European-born European-American? What about the record for an African-born African-American?

Comment

• mcgato
        • Oct 2005
        • Phoenixville

2:26:22 Magdalena Lewy Boulet is from Poland
        2:28:01 Colleen de Reuck is from South Africa (thats' what you meant by African-American isn't it?)
        2:29:45 Janet Bawcom is from Kenya (that's probably what you meant by African-American)

Comment

• jazzcyclist
          • Oct 2005

I didn't start the thread, so I'm only guessing, but I would presume that OP would classify de Reuck as an African-born European-American and Bawcom as an African-born African-American. In other words, the first adjective indicates place of birth, the second adjective indicates racial ancestry and the noun indicates nationality.

Comment

• GaryC
            • Jul 2007

Thanks for this feedback. I'm trying to develop an all-time best list of American born African Americans female marathoners. Samia Akbar was born in Virginia. It appears Ella Willis held the distinction of being the all-time best for 17 years with her 2:38 in 1989. Samia broke this record with her 2:34 in 2006. Thanks again!

I'd like to develop a list of all African American women that have broke 2:50 in the marathon. It appears that this will be a short list.

Comment

• jazzcyclist
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by GaryC View Post
              I'd like to develop a list of all African American women that have broke 2:50 in the marathon. It appears that this will be a short list.
              Will your list include both African-born and American-born women? I'm curious to see how how it breaks down.

Comment

Working...
              X