X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HughDESS
    replied
    Re: Yashchenko passed away ???

For those interested, more info on V. Yashchenko on Facebook group? 32669477114

Leave a comment:

• Dietmar239
    replied
    Originally posted by Powell
    Originally posted by Per Andersen
    Gennadiy Belkov 2.32, 1982
    Henry Lauterbach 2.30, 1978

Also in the high 2.20's. Jindrick Vondra TCH, 2.29, 1985. Sergei Senyukov 2.28, 1977 and Victor Malchugin 2.28, 1984.
    And Christian Schenk jumped 2.27 - not bad for a straddler decathlete!
    I believe his 2.27m is still =WR for the decathlon high jump. He's tied with Beilschmidt.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by Per Andersen

Also in the high 2.20's. Jindrick Vondra TCH, 2.29, 1985. Sergei Senyukov 2.28, 1977 and Victor Malchugin 2.28, 1984.
    And Christian Schenk jumped 2.27 - not bad for a straddler decathlete!

Leave a comment:

• Per Andersen
    replied
    Originally posted by tupeke
    Thanks Per. While on the subject, do you know if any other women cleared over 2m with the straddle aside from Ackermann?
    Not aware of any.
    If there were, it would have to have happened after 1984 and at that time I would think there were only floppers left.

Leave a comment:

• tupeke
    replied
    Thanks Per. While on the subject, do you know if any other women cleared over 2m with the straddle aside from Ackermann?

Leave a comment:

• Per Andersen
    replied
    Originally posted by marknhj
    Just out of interest, does anyone know how many other straddlers jumped over 2.30m? I know there was Rolf Beilschmidt at 2.31m. Apart from that I can only think of a handful who reached the high 2.20s such as Matzdorf, Lauterbach, Zhiqin and of course Brumel.
    I'm not sure, can't think of any off the top of my head. Per will know though. While checking Lauterbach's pr, which was 2.29m, I was astonished to discover he'd LJed 8.35m. I have no recollection of that whatsoever...
    I can add a few.

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied
    Just out of interest, does anyone know how many other straddlers jumped over 2.30m? I know there was Rolf Beilschmidt at 2.31m. Apart from that I can only think of a handful who reached the high 2.20s such as Matzdorf, Lauterbach, Zhiqin and of course Brumel.
    I'm not sure, can't think of any off the top of my head. Per will know though. While checking Lauterbach's pr, which was 2.29m, I was astonished to discover he'd LJed 8.35m. I have no recollection of that whatsoever...

Leave a comment:

• tupeke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied
    Originally posted by collector
    Part 2 of Yashchenko posted Youtube July 15.
    Cool footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl1JclV1 ... re=related
    collector - thanks for posting that clip. It's very poignant seeing him when he was young, and at home. There's an interesting quote from Paklin in the comments section:

"paklin once was asked, wether Yashchenko would go for 2,50m with modern conditions and flop. he told that V.Y. for sure was the greatest talent he ever met, able to do WR in any period, no matter of jumping stile."

I think there's a good possibility that would have been the case.

Leave a comment:

• collector
    replied
    Part 2 of Yashchenko posted Youtube July 15.
    Cool footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl1JclV1 ... re=related

Leave a comment:

• Per Andersen
    replied
    Originally posted by jhc68
    My friend Geoff Nelson, who has made a lifetime study of the straddle high jump and has an 800 page unpublished historical study of the technique, recently forwarded this comment about early straddlers to me (including the aforementioned Stewart):

To be brief, the straddle was first used, at least, at the 1908 Olympics. A straddler not mentioned is Wesley Oler who jumped at the 1912 Games. Gil Cruter was using the straddle before Albritton. James Stewart belly rolled to a 1930 NCAA title. He placed 4th at the 1928 OG in the decathlon, tried three times to jump for USC, finally got in, should have been on the 1932 team in the dec - it's a long story - but wasn't and then tried to make the team in the HJ and didn't. Marquette's Ed Burke, who set an indoor WR in '36 - hours after Cruter had set it - was another early straddler.
    The question is though. When was the straddle recognized as a separate technique from the Roll? Horine is recognized as the inventor of the Western Roll in about 1912.
    Very interesting if the first Roller and a real straddler both jumped in the 1912 Games.
    I don't dispute that there could have been jumpers who took off from the inside leg prior to Horine.
    At a primitive level it is very possible to jump in a way where it is impossible to identify it as either a Roll variation or a straddle variation.

Cruter was almost certainly the first Dive straddler. His technique was adopted by the Swedish Dive straddlers of the early 50's.

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied
    My friend Geoff Nelson, who has made a lifetime study of the straddle high jump and has an 800 page unpublished historical study of the technique, recently forwarded this comment about early straddlers to me (including the aforementioned Stewart):

To be brief, the straddle was first used, at least, at the 1908 Olympics. A straddler not mentioned is Wesley Oler who jumped at the 1912 Games. Gil Cruter was using the straddle before Albritton. James Stewart belly rolled to a 1930 NCAA title. He placed 4th at the 1928 OG in the decathlon, tried three times to jump for USC, finally got in, should have been on the 1932 team in the dec - it's a long story - but wasn't and then tried to make the team in the HJ and didn't. Marquette's Ed Burke, who set an indoor WR in '36 - hours after Cruter had set it - was another early straddler.

Leave a comment:

• rhymans
    replied
    J.Kenneth Doherty's "Modern Track and Field" (1963) makes reference to "this styleof clearance was first jumped in big time competition by Jim Stewart (USC), NCAA champion in 1930. Dean Cromwell (his college coach) gives a tongue-in-cheek explanation of how Stewart invented this form: "He said he had been raised on a ranch and needed considerable agility at the fences when the cattle went rampaging. At first he took the barbed wire fences with the scissors high jump form, but he found this dorsal clearance both destructive for the seat of his trousers and unpleasant anatomically. Finally, he said, since the cattle didn't get any more peaceful and the fences didn't get any lower, he was forced to use the technique of the belly roll, for with this form he could hold down the the barbed wire as he rolled over it. I never believed Jim's yarn either"

Leave a comment:

• imaginative
    replied
    He (or rather the underlying site) used JavaScript (or a similar technology) to
    manipulate the contents of the input field, the position of a simulated
    mouse-pointer, and a few other things---in combination with delayed action. The
    idea is bloody brilliant, but there is no magic involved in the actual
    implementation: The basic building blocks are used by websites all the time.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied
    Originally posted by Daisy
    Originally posted by dal4018
    Before Dumas cracked the 7-0 barrier who held the world mark just curious???????
    This link will be useful
    That was magic! How did you do that??!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X