Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Olli View Post
    I doubt if verifying birthdays is in accord with the "rules" of these quizzes.
    My bad. I'm sorry if that's the case. But like I said I usually know the athlete from the clues given. In this case I was checking to see if I was right. I've done it once before. My apologies, and I shall respectfully disqualify myself for a period of time.

Comment

Heck, I can't even answer the clues.

Comment

Recently I verified Sergiy Bubka's birthday before posting the answer that I'd figured out. I looked it up, carelessly read his son's birth date (the tennis player), so I didn't bother to post because obviously my reasoning and conclusion was incorrect.

Comment

If you make an educated guess, but do not post it, then verify it, then post it, I say that's ok. But it is more fun to go ahead and post, w/o verifying, and let doubleRbar do the verifing or saying you're wrong.

And if you check your educated guess, before you post, and it is wrong, you are done... no more educated guess and check allowed.
          Last edited by dukehjsteve; 12-15-2016, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
            If you make an educated guess, but do not post it, then verify it, then post it, I say that's ok. But it is more fun to go ahead and post, w/o verifying, and let doubleRbar do the verifing or saying you're wrong.

And if you check your educated guess, before you post, and it is wrong, you are done... no more educated guess and check allowed.
            That all makes sense to me.

Comment

Was she really athlete of the decade?
              i deserve extra credit

Comment

I believe so. She ranked second in the world for 1970 and 1971. She was number one ranked in the world for 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, and 1979! Not bad.

Comment

Fair enough

My first thoughts went to Szewinska or Kazankina. Ruth Fuchs seems kind of forgotten today compared to other athletes of the era.

Thanks for this it's sent me down a javelin youtube hole
                  i deserve extra credit

Comment

That must have been a long and narrow hole.

Comment

If I had my copy of TFN with Fuchs on the cover for athlete of the decade I'd take a pic of it. I do remember it now.

Comment

Originally posted by trackCanuck View Post
                        If I had my copy of TFN with Fuchs on the cover for athlete of the decade I'd take a pic of it. I do remember it now.
                        You can find all past covers under the Archive tab on the home page. Here's the one you were referring to:

Comment

Interesting to see that again! I gave up hoarding magazines a long time ago. I think the only one I've kept from the 70s is Marita Koch AOY 79.

Comment

Working...
                          X