Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faina Melnik

Faina Melnik just died. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.404a9d67f8e9 - story does not give a lot of details

I remember her winning the discus in Munich. It was a few days after the Black September group's murders at the Olympic Village and the same day Frank Shorter won the marathon (final day of competition). Sorry to hear this news.

Comment

Perhaps I might also share my memory of Faina Melnik, which was in the early days of my T&F fandom, in Helsinki Olympic Stadium, EC 1971. I was 7 years old and had perhaps never heard about Faina Melnik. But I liked her name and said: "next Faina Melnik will throw a world record" and that indeed did happen. If I only had preserved that talent of clairvoyance, I might have made a fortune through betting. Alas, ...

Comment

Died 16 December 2016 in Moscow, for those keeping score.

Comment

only woman discus thrower ever to be TFN's AOY

Comment

Flump and I twice tried to get her to take a photo with us and twice she ran away !!
            i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy View Post
              Flump and I twice tried to get her to take a photo with us and twice she ran away !!
              Your reputations precede you!

But seriously, Melnik also used (pioneered?) the heel turn at the back of the circle. I experimented with this method and got quite good at it but it only got me the same distance as any other approach. I might lace up the old shoes and take a throw in her memory next weekend.

Comment

Working...
              X