Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP: Miruts Yifter, 72

The great Ethiopian distance runner, Miruts Yifter, died earlier today in a Toronto hospital, on 23 Dec 2016
    Last edited by gh; 12-23-2016, 03:58 PM.

date has been amended to 22 December.

Comment

Very sad. His last laps were among the best I've ever seen. He died way too young.

Comment

I think before Yifter dominated the big races from 1977-1980, most Western aficionados associated East African runners with front-running, sometimes in an extravagant manner. He showed that East Africans don't have to blow the field apart to win major races.

I know there has always been something of a debate over his true age, but 1944 has long seemed the most plausible year of birth offered in my view. He was certainly not that young when he did the double in Moscow in 1980, but 36 seems much more likely than the 40+ that was mentioned sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
          I think before Yifter dominated the big races from 1977-1980, most Western aficionados associated East African runners with front-running, sometimes in an extravagant manner. He showed that East Africans don't have to blow the field apart to win major races.
          The front running thoughts always had a air of "they don't know how to pace themselves" at least in the parts I frequented.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
            I know there has always been something of a debate over his true age, but 1944 has long seemed the most plausible year of birth offered in my view. He was certainly not that young when he did the double in Moscow in 1980, but 36 seems much more likely than the 40+ that was mentioned sometimes.
            I met Yifter in person for the first time in '74 I think it was, when he would have been "30"; if i hadn't known who he was, I would have guessed that he was 40+. And not just because of the thinning hair; he had a very grizzled look.

Comment

I remember him best, actually, for the meet in ?1974 in Durham when he raced Prefontaine in the 5K and misjudged the laps and kicked on the penultimate lap, and then stopped. Pre ended up with an easy victory.

Comment

Didn't he have the nickname---Yifter the Shifter---meaning he shifted gears so speedily with his kick?
                Or was that name one I gave him?
                Whatever the case, one of the greatest distance runners!!
                RIP

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                  I remember him best, actually, for the meet in ?1974 in Durham when he raced Prefontaine in the 5K and misjudged the laps and kicked on the penultimate lap, and then stopped. Pre ended up with an easy victory.
                  That race was in 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                    I have wondered about the ramifications of Yifter misjudging the laps. Perhaps Steve would have used different tactics in the Munich 5,000 (maybe pushing the pace earlier in the race because of concerns about his finishing speed) if Yifter had legitimately blown past him in Durham.

Comment

Originally posted by cubehead View Post
                      That race was in 1971.
                      Thats's right - it was while I was in college because I actually saw Pre in Al Buehler's office the day before the race.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                        Didn't he have the nickname---Yifter the Shifter---meaning he shifted gears so speedily with his kick?
                        Or was that name one I gave him?
                        Whatever the case, one of the greatest distance runners!!
                        RIP
                        That's correct, aaronk - a nickname used for him

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago View Post
                          I have wondered about the ramifications of Yifter misjudging the laps. Perhaps Steve would have used different tactics in the Munich 5,000 (maybe pushing the pace earlier in the race because of concerns about his finishing speed) if Yifter had legitimately blown past him in Durham.
                          Yifter wasn't in the 5000m in Munich. He missed his heat as he went to the wrong gate...IIRC the story correctly.

Comment

Oh but for the African boycott in 1976. Yifter would have had a big say in the 5 and 10, I believe I read that Rono said he would have won the steeple, and we lost out on the chance to see Bayi-Walker, the event I was most looking forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                              Yifter wasn't in the 5000m in Munich. He missed his heat as he went to the wrong gate...IIRC the story correctly.
                              correct... he was "left crying in the tunnel as the race went off without him"

Comment

Working...
                              X