Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USC (not) in 1959 NCAA

Looking back through the NCAA Championships results in the archive, it does not appear that USC participated in the 1959 meet despite being one of the year's best teams. What happened? Was it due to the various scandals that blew up the Pacific Coast Conference right about then? And was UCLA also out of the meet or were they just not good enough to score anything?

Same thing as kept USC out of the 1957 meet, an NCAA ban for improper recruiting and financial assistance.

i'm not certain what sport was principally (exclusively?) involved for the 1957 ban, but the '59 ban (which covered all sports) was for violations exclusively within the football program.

Comment

pretty sure UCLA was also on the shit list.

Comment

Originally posted by dj View Post
        Same thing as kept USC out of the 1957 meet, an NCAA ban for improper recruiting and financial assistance.

i'm not certain what sport was principally (exclusively?) involved for the 1957 ban, but the '59 ban (which covered all sports) was for violations exclusively within the football program.
        I agree. If I took the time to dig through my T&FN collection, I would see that Kansas won in 1959.

Comment

Speaking of USC, why did Vern Wolfe never coach a national team? gh listed his accomplishments as a high school coach in Phoenix and as a coach of Olympic champions in T&FN about 20 years ago. I was fortunate to be on his team at Foothill JC in 1962 and saw him regularly when I lived in the LA area, so I have always wondered about his exclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
            pretty sure UCLA was also on the shit list.
            Garry, do you keep shit lists? Are there both performer and performance shit lists?

Comment

Originally posted by GleasonTom View Post
              I agree. If I took the time to dig through my T&FN collection, I would see that Kansas won in 1959.
              You don't need to dig through your collection. You can find that info in the Archive section of this website.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                You don't need to dig through your collection. You can find that info in the Archive section of this website.
                Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X