Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like Father, Like Son

Happy 83rd birthday today (Saturday) of an Olympic champion who won two Olympic gold medals within 52 hours of each other.

This track and field athlete's native language is the same as that of the country where this champion won those two Olympic gold medals.

Our birthday athlete celebrated a 23rd birthday approximately 37 days after winning one of those Olympic gold medals.

Of course you know this Olympic gold medalist. Please name our birthday champion for this first weekend of 2017.

Charles Jenkins? 400m gold, then the 4x400 at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.

His son, Chip, was a reserve on the 1992 4x4, and won a gold medal.
    Last edited by bobguild76; 01-07-2017, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Happy birthday (83) today to Charlie Jenkins and nice going, bobguild76. Of course Charlie Jenkins won the Melbourne (1956) 400 in very windy conditions. He came back about two days later to run the third leg on the winning four by 400 relay team.

Comment

I really hate the questions where the gold is in the relays, especially "now" with all the substitutions that are allowed from the heats to the finals.

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE View Post
          I really hate the questions where the gold is in the relays, especially "now" with all the substitutions that are allowed from the heats to the finals.
          Might I ask, what are the exact rules for such substitutions and how have they changed in history? I am sure many on this board can answer.

Comment

When I started following T&F substitutions just weren't allowed. A number of athletes could be listed in the pool of runners from which a country could choose from I think the max was six. But, the same four ran the heats and final. (Remember '72 in the 4 X 400 when Matthews and Collett were thrown out, Smith was injured in the final, and the U.S.A. couldn't field a team so they were S.O.L.?) I believe at some point substitutes would be allowed from heats to finals for a legitimate medical reason. Dubious doctor's notes claiming injuries entered the picture in Moscow. They went unchallenged and were accepted. This is my recollection.

Comment

It was 1984 when the heat runners / swimmers / cyclists were allowed to receive medals. Prior to that time it was only given to the competitors in the final heat.

Comment

Working...
              X