Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Miler and MD, Jack Lovelock.
    A few years before that Dr Edward Beeson, WR holder HJ 1914. He held the WR for 3 years.

Comment

James Andrews was SEC pole vault champ

Comment

Mark Plaatjes, 1991 World Champs marathon gold, is a physical therapist in Boulder. Treats a lot of high-level athletes as one would expect.

Comment

One thing this thread reminds me of is the difficulty T&F athletes thinking of a career in medicine face if they are national/world class. I'm sure Dan Lincoln had a few more good years and maybe a couple more ARs in him when 3rd year (and beyond) med school put paid to serious running. Throw XX chromosomes into the mix and it's that much harder. When do I start med school? When do I have children?

If one carries their running career through to, say, 34, starts med school then, finishes at 38, picks a wimpy little three-year residency like internal medicine (as opposed to a manly 5+ years in ortho like bambam and then maybe a fellowship), one is 41+ when they finish. Or, rather, when they start. It takes a long time, maybe a decade or more, out in practice before one realizes, hey, I'm starting to feel like maybe I know what I'm doing. I went straight through, HS, college, med school, residency, so was only 29 when I was done with medical training.

Comment

Duke had a 1500/5000 type when I was at UNC, early 1980s, who went into medicine. Not anywhere near world class but a decent DI runner, I think, and bambam would know him and the name just showed up, Bryan Alf, IIRC.

edit: Looks like it's Allf and he was an All-American at 5000 and in the distance medley in 1981, and is an ophthalmologist in Gastonia, NC.
            Last edited by DrJay; 01-13-2017, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Looks like we still need a 400H guy. How about Ralph Mann, PhD in biomechanics?

Comment

800m/880y/1000m/1500m/1mile
                Dr Sir Peter Snell. Associate Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas.

Comment

Peter Snell and Ralph Mann both got their PhD's from WSU - Go Cougs

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                    with all due deference to Dr. Ralph, biomechanics is a long way from "medical"

Comment

OG bronze medalist Dave Roberts (Rice PV) is an ER doc in Florida

Comment

1896 100 bronze medalist Alajos Szokolyi of Hungary was a physician

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                          If all else fails, we can use Tewksbury.

(Edit: Arky Erwin? 5-time AAU champion.)
                          Last edited by LopenUupunut; 01-13-2017, 01:31 PM.

Comment

A similar thread from 11+ years ago may add some names to the list.

http://trackandfieldnews.com/discuss...ere-tracksters

Comment

Was Otto Peltzer a doctor of medicine? He was called "Doctor" a lot, was mentioned in that old thread, and I thought of him yesterday; but on a quick look, I couldn't find any evidence he was a medical doctor or ever studied or practised medicine.

Comment

IIRC, Terje Pedersen became a dentist (or has he already been mentioned?).

Comment

Working...
                                X