Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the all-time all-medical team

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    TIM HACKER
    Won NCAA XC in 1985(?)
    PhD at Wisconsin researching cardiovascular physiology
    pretty fit and fast family gene pool too

    Comment


    • #77
      Did anyone say Glenda Reiser?

      Comment


      • #78
        Have we had a thread on this topic?

        Off the top of my head: Lovelock, Steinbach, Bannister, Sime. Delano Merriweather was the opposite, a doctor who became an athlete.
        Canadian middle distance racer Glenda Reiser (4:06 1500 at age 17!) was another.

        Comment


        • #79
          Dave Roberts (PV) ER physician

          Comment


          • #80
            Sprinter Forrest Beatty

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by noone View Post
              Have we had a thread on this topic?
              ...
              the all-time medical team, from 2017

              https://forum.trackandfieldnews.com/...am#post1368588

              Comment


              • #82
                and then there was 1920 OG 100m silver medalist Morris Kirksey, who went on to be a psychiatrist.

                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlet...0_metres_relay
                Last edited by user4; 05-06-2020, 07:08 PM.

                Comment


                • #83
                  I remember reading that Sir Roger Bannister was such a noted neurologist that he might have been knighted for that alone.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                    I remember reading that Sir Roger Bannister was such a noted neurologist that he might have been knighted for that alone.
                    He was - Pego can speak more to this than I can, but Bannister was the editor of one of the top neurologic textbooks - Brain's Diseases of the Nervous System (and yes, the original author was really named Brain)

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Time to add Laura Muir, Veterinarian.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

                        He was - Pego can speak more to this than I can, but Bannister was the editor of one of the top neurologic textbooks - Brain's Diseases of the Nervous System (and yes, the original author was really named Brain)
                        Nominative determinism in action!

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

                          He was - Pego can speak more to this than I can, but Bannister was the editor of one of the top neurologic textbooks - Brain's Diseases of the Nervous System (and yes, the original author was really named Brain)
                          That is correct. I heard Sir Roger give a talk once at the annual meeting of American Academy of Neurology. Never got to actually meet him.
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by El Toro View Post
                            While on Australians, Olympic steeplechaser, Dr Peter Larkins and decathlete Dr Chris Bradshaw, 400MH Jana Pittman is studying medicine as is 400m flat runner Steve Solomon. Dr Sophie Scamps ran the 800m. If neurochemistry counts, then add Dr Lee Naylor, 400m Olympian in 1996.

                            There may be more lurking in the foetid swamp of my brain but that's it for today.
                            Jana Pittman finished her medical degree and started work this year as an intern in Sydney. If she had used the same consistent application on 400H, she would still be WR holder c. 51.5.

                            Steve Solomon changed from medicine to business, so delete him from your thoughts.

                            Bronwyn Thompson, 2006 CWG WLJ gold medallist (6.97) and former AUS NR holder (7.00) is a qualified physiotherapist, which is equivalent to the USA doctor of physical therapy.

                            Nigerian track (12.88 100H) and bobsled (first ever) Olympian, Seun Adigun, qualified as a chiropracter.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by El Toro View Post
                              While on Australians, Olympic steeplechaser, Dr Peter Larkins and decathlete Dr Chris Bradshaw, 400MH Jana Pittman is studying medicine as is 400m flat runner Steve Solomon. Dr Sophie Scamps ran the 800m. If neurochemistry counts, then add Dr Lee Naylor, 400m Olympian in 1996.

                              There may be more lurking in the foetid swamp of my brain but that's it for today.
                              Dr Peter Fuller, AUS 1500 champion in 1976. Also 800 silver medallist the year before beating Steve Hooker's dad, Bill, back in 7th. PBs 3:39.9h('76)/3:56.8h('74)

                              Somebody asked for a 400m hurdler since R. Mann's biomechanics degree was insufficient. How about [medical] Dr Peter Grant, 1976 Olympian in the 400H (+flat + relay) and 14th on the AUS all-time list with 49.69 ('79). He is the right age to be the cardiac surgeon in Sydney but I can't confirm this. I will dig deeper.

                              Incidentally, both were members of Box Hill Athletic club, as were Olympians Graham Crouch and Dr Peter Larkins (3kSt), mentioned above.

                              If we are including dentists, then Paul Narracott, 1983 WC finalist and former AUS NR holder at 100m.
                              Last edited by El Toro; 05-07-2020, 03:35 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Who was the pole vaulter who became an osteopath? Was it Bob Richards? No, he was a pastor..

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X