Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USC's Gary Carlsen (6th in the '68 OG) became a dentist

Comment

• Binga Dismond equalled Ted Meredith's World Record for 440y in 1916, but the mark was never ratified because the track was measured 18 inches from the curb. The 12-inch requirement had recently been adopted and many tracks at that time were measured 18 inches out. He later became an MD. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2594046/

Comment

• 1956 LJ gold medalist Greg Bell was a dentist too. Let's have a thread on all - time dental team.
        ​​

Comment

• Originally posted by noone View Post
          1956 LJ gold medalist Greg Bell was a dentist too. Let's have a thread on all - time dental team.
          ​​
          Is it safe?

Comment

• Discus Throw: Ortho: Dr. Gary Carlsen from California.

Hurdler: Dr Peter Grimes ( 4 x 400 Meter Shuttle Hurdle Relay), Sprint Hurdles, and Long Hurdles from California.

Masters Track and Field: There are many Doctors that compete in Masters Track and Field (surgeons, ortho,chiropractors, and many others)

Comment

• W.G. Grace was a doctor and did the hurdles once....and a lot of people actually heard of him... though almost none in the US.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                W.G. Grace was a doctor and did the hurdles once....and a lot of people actually heard of him... though almost none in the US.
                I think in his heyday he was the most famous sportsman in England. He had a very large beard for a hurdler!

Comment

• Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

I think in his heyday he was the most famous sportsman in England. He had a very large beard for a hurdler!
                  More than just his heyday - when Peter Matthews did his Guinness Book of British Sportsmen (or some such title), he picked Grace as the greatest British athlete of all-time. I think he set an early world best for the 400 hurdles although it was well before the IAAF

Comment

• Originally posted by noone View Post
                    . Let's have a thread on all - time dental team.

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                    Is it safe?
                    This reference might have gone over many a head, but I'm sure there are plenty of us here who shiver at the thought of this memorable cinematic scene.
                    Last edited by wamego relays champ; 06-07-2020, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

More than just his heyday - when Peter Matthews did his Guinness Book of British Sportsmen (or some such title), he picked Grace as the greatest British athlete of all-time. I think he set an early world best for the 400 hurdles although it was well before the IAAF
                      Definitely still highly thought of. A national legend...and Matthews favorite sport is cricket so an easy choice.

Grace was quite a character. Once in a cricket match where he got most of the gate receipts, usual for him, he got bowled out very early. Grace just put the bails back on and continued batting....telling the confused bowler...

"They came to see me bat, not you bowl..."

Comment

• West German Olympian Heidi Schuller, who competed in the long jump and 100 meter hurdles in Munich and also took the athletes' oath, was a physician.

Comment

• Sub-2:09 U.S. marathoner Martin Hehir is a senior in medical school and describes himself as an "aspiring anesthesiologist"

Comment

Working...
                          X