Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goteberg

Happy 65th birthday today (Thursday) to an Olympic champion who was born on a Saturday and won the Olympic gold medal on a Saturday.

This champion was famous for breaking a track and field barrier.

Our birthday person did not win Olympic gold in the hurdles or the decathlon.

The country where our birthday athlete was born and the country where this person won Olympic gold both speak the same language.

Enough clues for you to get this champion athlete. Please name our birthday gold medalist for this second Thursday of January.

John Walker might fit.

Comment

Happy birthday today (65) to John Walker. He certainly does fit and he was very fit (probably still is) when he became the first to run the mile under 3:50. Hard to think of him as 65. I saw him win the 1,500 in Montreal in 1976 (over 40 years ago). Very good, mcgato.

Comment

Sir John is a month younger than me. We were on the Auckland team for the junior nationals (18 and under) in February 1970 that were held on the grass track in Napier. That meet changed my life as it was my performances that weekend that got me a phone call from the fastest mouth in the Palouse, Coach John Chaplin, and on to WSU. From memory, John won the 880y. And I don't recall him running the mile. I was present at Victoria, Vancouver Island, in 1973 when he first broke 4 minutes. He was pissed off as the officials put him in the B grade race. Rod Dixon and Dick Quax were our premier milers in those days.

For the last 24 years John has been suffering from Parkinson's disease. And although life is obviously a bit of a struggle for him it hasn't stopped from challenging Parkinson's by being elected continuously to represent his local district of Manurewa as a City Councillor 23 years.

Comment

Also, I understand he is the father of four children, although I doubt if they are still children.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
            The country where our birthday athlete was born and the country where this person won Olympic gold both speak the same language.
            The Québécoise might protest.

And – fantastic that someone got it with so few clues. I would think there are several athletes that might fit, like Tatyana Kazankina.

Comment

I though someone would guess Kazankina, however she's from a Russian speaking country and not English. She also never won an Olympic gold medal on a Saturday (even though she won three of them). She also turned 65 about a month ahead of Walker.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                I though someone would guess Kazankina, however she's from a Russian speaking country and not English. She also never won an Olympic gold medal on a Saturday (even though she won three of them). She also turned 65 about a month ahead of Walker.
                She did win an Olympic gold in a Russian-speaking country, though.

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut View Post
                  She did win an Olympic gold in a Russian-speaking country, though.
                  Precisely. And I, at least, am not good at remembering the weekdays in which Olympic golds are won.

On the other hand, DoubleR wrote

"...Olympic champion who was born on a Saturday and won *the* Olympic gold medal on a Saturday"

So perhaps *the* was a hint that there was only one gold for this athlete. (((But we Finns are bad with the articles.)))

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post
                    And – fantastic that someone got it with so few clues.
                    On facebook, somebody recently shared a link to Filbert Bayi's WR 1500 in Christchurch, so that area was on my mind. I don't know if the shared link had anything to do with Walker's birthday, as it wasn't mentioned.

Comment

I was a boy watching Montreal, he was mythic.

Comment

Originally posted by Olli View Post
                        Precisely. And I, at least, am not good at remembering the weekdays in which Olympic golds are won.

On the other hand, DoubleR wrote

"...Olympic champion who was born on a Saturday and won *the* Olympic gold medal on a Saturday"

So perhaps *the* was a hint that there was only one gold for this athlete. (((But we Finns are bad with the articles.)))
                        Yes, that was a small hint that there was only one Olympic gold medal. The clue about the same language refers to New Zealand and Canada both using English as an official language. Russian doesn't make it.

Comment

Russian was spoken in Soviet Union. Kazankina won there. But never mind...

Comment

Good thing I wrote "the Olympic gold medal"! Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                            X