Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selma

Happy birthday today (Wednesday) to an Olympic champion who won four Olympic gold medals in one Games.

Our birthday champion died about 200 miles from this athlete's birth spot.

Born on a Saturday and died on a Saturday, this person was 86 years old at death.

The 14th child in this athlete's family, our birthday individual was born 121 years ago this day in January.

At the age of 41, our birthday athlete became a citizen of a different nation from this athlete's birth country.

You might be interested to know that this person won a total of five Olympic gold medals, however two of those events are no longer contested in the Olympic Games.

Don't eliminate the hurdles for this athlete.

This athlete is not the most famous athlete from the country of this person's birth.

How long will it be before someone names our birthday athlete for this penultimate Wednesday of January?

Ville Ritola

Comment

The answer is 12 minutes. Very good, LopenUupunut. I'm happy to say that it is Ville Ritola who was born 121 years ago today. Of course you know Ritola was a fantastic distance runner from Finland and he set a world record in Paris (1924) in winning the Olympic 10,000. Three days later, he won the steeplechase and set a new Olympic record in that event. The 1924 Olympics featured cross country (team) and Ville won two gold medals in those events. Ritola went on to win the 1928 Olympic 5,000 at the age of 32. What an athlete.

Comment

1. Paavo Nurmi
        2. Lasse Viren
        3. Wille Ritola
        Rank of most famous Summer Olympic athletes from Finland?

Comment

I am not sure about international famousness, but Hannes Kolehmainen seems more important than Ritola as the pioneer of Finnish sports, the one who "ran Finland to the world map," as they say it (sorry for bad translation).

Comment

I would agree with Hannes Kolehmainen. There were so many great Finns after Kolehmainen.

Comment

Working...
            X