Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairholme

Happy 44th birthday to one of our younger Olympic champions in this quiz. This champion won an Olympic silver medal before getting the gold medal.

Our birthday athlete's brother died in a traffic accident about eight years after our birthday person won the Olympic gold medal.

You might know that this champion also won two World Championship gold medals and one World Championships bronze medal.

Of course this athlete did not win any Olympic medals in the hurdles, steeplechase, relays, or any of the jumping events.

The Olympic gold medal that this athlete won happened on the same continent where our birthday person was born.

Please name this athlete with one Olympic gold medal.

Sounds like Cathy Freeman.

Comment

Happy birthday today to Cathy Freeman (44) and nice work, tandfman. Of course you know that Cathy won the 400 in Sydney (2000) and that was, maybe, the loudest crowd noise I have ever heard at a track and field meet. I think it may have even rivaled the crowd noise I experienced in Montreal (1976) when I saw the United States beat East Germany in the women's four by 100 freestyle relay (swimming). I thought the roof was coming off the building. Question: What's the loudest crowd noise you can remember at any event? How about the loudest at a track meet?

Comment

The loudest T&F crowd that I have been a part of was 1 August 1996 when Michael Johnson crossed the line with the 200m WR of 19.32.

Living in the NCAA College Football Belt of America it is hard to pinpoint the loudest crowd at a (sporting) event I have attended. With stadium capacities now over 85,000 frantic folks, jumbo screens with a hype video and piped in sound, two marching bands, a jet flyover, and alcoholic beverages of choice they are pretty much all loud.

Comment

My voice will never be the same after that (1996) Olympic men's 200 in Atlanta. I helped make it loud in Atlanta that evening.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar
            Question: What's the loudest crowd noise you can remember at any event? How about the loudest at a track meet?
            1. Rose Bowl 1994 when coach Alvarez greeted the crowd with "Isn't Camp Randall painted pretty today?"

2. Greeting Butch Reynolds at New Orleans OT's after his infamous suspension by IAAF.
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I was in the stadium for both Freeman's gold medal run and Michael Johnson's 19.32. I think the Freeman crowd was louder.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                I was in the stadium for both Freeman's gold medal run and Michael Johnson's 19.32. I think the Freeman crowd was louder.
                The Sydney stadium was a loud venue. I was at the test event and Catherine was running in front of a school crowd of about 2,000 and even that was very noisy.

Comment

Working...
                X