X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olli
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Gyula is pronounced Zhula, not exactly Shula.

MC Hammer = rap star
    Claw hammer = the most popular type of hammer used in carpentry
    Miami Dolphins = American football team in NFL - their best known coach was Don Shula who led them to the only fully undefeated season in NFL history, back in 1972.
    Thanks for explanations. I learnt something new about English language and less familiar parts of American culture. But I still disagree with the pronunciation of Gy in Hungarian. If no real Hungarian will appear hear, let's trust LopenUupunut's friend.

Leave a comment:

• LopenUupunut
    replied
    Originally posted by Olli View Post
    Regarding pronunciation, I think Gyula is pronounced more like Dyula, with a rather weak D, hence almost Yula, using English approximants ([djula] in IPA). But correct me, if you or anyone reading this really knows how to speak Hungarian.
    That's a pretty good approximation of how my Hungarian-speaking friend pronounces it.

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    I'm pretty sure Gyula is pronounced Zhula, not exactly Shula.

MC Hammer = rap star
    Claw hammer = the most popular type of hammer used in carpentry
    Miami Dolphins = American football team in NFL - their best known coach was Don Shula who led them to the only fully undefeated season in NFL history, back in 1972.

Leave a comment:

• Olli
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Good job, J Rorick. It is Gyula Zsivotsky, the 1968 hammer throw gold medalist, and silver medalist in 1960 and 1964.

Hammer = MC Hammer = Claw Hammer was the clue

Miami Dolphins = Don Shula - Zsivotsky's given name is pronounced very similarly to Shula. A bit more like a J-shula
    I'm afraid I still don't understand any of these clues, but never mind, I can google them and educate myself.

Regarding pronunciation, I think Gyula is pronounced more like Dyula, with a rather weak D, hence almost Yula, using English approximants ([djula] in IPA). But correct me, if you or anyone reading this really knows how to speak Hungarian.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied
    Great job, bambam1729. I couldn't have done any better!

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Good job, J Rorick. It is Gyula Zsivotsky, the 1968 hammer throw gold medalist, and silver medalist in 1960 and 1964.

Hammer = MC Hammer = Claw Hammer was the clue

Miami Dolphins = Don Shula - Zsivotsky's given name is pronounced very similarly to Shula. A bit more like a J-shula

Hey, DoubleRBar was taking a break. I'm just the stand-in.

Leave a comment:

• J Rorick
    replied
    But Tuariki really deserves the credit.

Leave a comment:

• J Rorick
    replied
    I'll guess the hammer guy Gyula Zsivotzky of Hungary.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied
    Very good, bambam1729. I like your style. I think Tuariki is in the "ballpark".

Leave a comment:

• Olli
    replied
    My guess is Gammoudi. Most clues fit, even though I don't have the slightest idea how he relates with "MC Claw" or "Miami Dolphins."

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Mohammed Gammoudi or the hammer guy. I thought of Mel Pender but Mel only got the one medal and Oeter, but he got 4 medals.

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    started a topic MC Claw

MC Claw

OK, DoubleRBar must be on holiday today so I'll do one.

This Olympic Champion was born 80 years ago today and won his gold medal at age 31. He competed in 4 Olympic Games and won 3 Olympic medals in all. He won his gold medal 10,355 km from his hometown.

Forget the hurdles when thinking of this person. Also you can forget tennis or golf when thinking of him (I'm not too good at this yet).

You might wonder what the Miami Dolphins have to do with this Olympic Champion. But you can otherwise forget American football when thinking of this gold medalist.
Working...
X