Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirongia

Let me try this guessing game.

Born in 1931, and although not originally selected for the Games team, this late Olympic champion, who died during a bicycle race, won his gold 10,550 miles from his birth place.

Forget the throws and the hurdles. This Olympic champion competed in two Olympics winning only one medal – although it was of the best colour.

Totally clueless, although I'm guessing based upon the birth year and the 10,550 miles clue that the win took place in Melbourne.

Comment

I surmised Melbourne from the birth year but can't recall the bike fatality of any Olympic winner.

Comment

Tuariki - can you send me information about how this guy died to my email [email protected]? We don't have that in his bio.

This is a tough one.

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE View Post
          Totally clueless, although I'm guessing based upon the birth year and the 10,550 miles clue that the win took place in Melbourne.
          correct

Comment

He did not compete for the country of his birth

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
              I surmised Melbourne from the birth year but can't recall the bike fatality of any Olympic winner.
              He died of a heart attack during a bike race when he was 62

Comment

additional clue = Harry Kerr

Comment

additional = Bob Fitzsimmons

Comment

I just guessed it - looked him up on Wikipedia to confirm, but will refrain from giving his name out because of the rules of the game.

Comment

And speaking of Wikipedia, it is not this guy either - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuariki_Delamere.

However, I have learned that when we address Tuariki, we need to address him as The Honourable Tuariki. Commonwealth Games long and triple jumper in 1974. Never knew all that, Tuariki ... excuse me, The Honourable Tuariki. Also learned that Tuariki is 8 weeks older than me. No wonder we think alike.

Comment

1974 Commonwealth Games - 9th in LJ (7.31) and 13th in QR in TJ (14.23). Listed as John Delamere in my copy of Athletics at the Commonwealth Games. I'll have to correct the authors (Whittingham / Jenes / Greenberg)

Comment

Isn't there a sequence of photos in an old T&Fn of Tuariki / Delamere doing a flip long jump?

Comment

Was this Olympic champion born February 28?

Comment

no. This person shares a birthday with golfer Ben Hogan and former Olympic swim gold medalist Michael Klim

And he never did the sprints or the jumps

Comment

Working...
                              X