Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy Birthday to Doug Brown!

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Happy Birthday to Doug Brown!

    Maybe greatest Vol athlete ever.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Brown_(athlete)


  • #2
    For male Vols he is a great one, but certainly not nearly eclipsing Willie Gault.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by BillVol View Post
      Maybe greatest Vol athlete ever.

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Brown_(athlete)

      Or maybe Peyton Manning?

      Comment


      • #4
        Peyton didn't win any national championships. Just one SEC. Brown won at least 9 team SEC titles and two national championships (team). Individually, he won a bunch of both. Extra credit for qualifying for three Olympic teams and coaching UT to a bunch of SEC champ teams and one NC team. As a college athlete, I don't think you can compare the two. Don't think Gault in his league either. As usual, my post may need fact checking, but I think I'm close. I think if you are going to pick a UT athlete over Brown, you'd have to look at Bernard King, Ron Widby, Doug Atkins, Justin Gatlin. Maybe John Trembley.

        Comment


        • #5
          Richmond Flowers?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by G.Ahearn View Post
            Richmond Flowers?
            Great, but not in Brown's world as far as college accomplishments IMO.

            Just looked at the media guide.

            Doug Brown --

            TRACK & FIELD

            Individual championships
            SEC
            Outdoor 6 (most in school history for individual titles)
            Indoor 2
            Total SEC individual titles 8 (most in school history)

            NCAA
            Outdoor 2 national titles

            Team championships
            SEC indoor 3
            SEC outdoor 4

            NCAA outdoor 1

            CROSS COUNTRY
            SEC
            Individual titles 2

            Team championships 4

            NCAA
            Team championships 1 (finished 2nd individually)
            Last edited by BillVol; 03-04-2017, 04:26 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BillVol View Post
              I think if you are going to pick a UT athlete over Brown, you'd have to look at Bernard King, Ron Widby, Doug Atkins, Justin Gatlin. Maybe John Trembley.
              Johnny Majors??

              Comment


              • #8
                I think BillVol wins this argument - he certainly knows UT better than all of us.

                However, I will still demur, adding women, and ask Candace Parker?? or Chamique Holdsclaw?? They were both national players of the year, I think multiple time each

                Comment


                • #9
                  All of the Majors family were tremendous natural athletes. Johnny could probably have participated in many other sports. His son was a vaulter for the track team and Johnny was a big track fan in general. Nice tribute to Majors here:

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dkzAGKvx0k

                  I would pick Chamique as the best of the women's hoopsters but it seems like more would pick Parker.

                  BTW, just my opinion. Doug was such a champion at the college level.
                  Last edited by BillVol; 03-06-2017, 09:27 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BillVol View Post
                    Great, but not in Brown's world as far as college accomplishments IMO.

                    Just looked at the media guide.

                    Doug Brown --

                    TRACK & FIELD

                    Individual championships
                    SEC
                    Outdoor 6 (most in school history for individual titles)
                    Indoor 2
                    Total SEC individual titles 8 (most in school history)

                    NCAA
                    Outdoor 2 national titles

                    Team championships
                    SEC indoor 3
                    SEC outdoor 4

                    NCAA outdoor 1

                    CROSS COUNTRY
                    SEC
                    Individual titles 2

                    Team championships 4

                    NCAA
                    Team championships 1 (finished 2nd individually)
                    Taking nothing away from Doug, who confirmed his talent on the national/international stage, but his raft of SEC titles needs to be taken in the context of the times, when it was a relatively weak track league, nothing like today.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I think Brown would have fared very well in the Pac 8, though. (Taking Pre out of the equation.) So the SEC titles are an indicator that he was good. JMO.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I agree completely; just saying that the SEC credentials (parrticularly the team ones) don't do much to advance his cause. Fortunately, he doesn't need them.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X