Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian high jumper Yuriy Styepanov

Looking for information on the history of former high jump world record holder Yuriy Styepanov from the U.S.S.R. In 1957 he established a world record of 7' 1" and then vanished from sight. I vaguely remember controversy regarding a built up shoe but not much else. If you are a high jump fanatic like me with any information please post it as it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

John

Re: Russian high jumper Yuriy Styepanov

I had read that the shoes got built up to over an inch and that was the secret of his success and he couldn't hang once they brought it down. He had decent jumps between '56 and '60.

Comment

sad story, as best I can recall w/o looking it up he had mental problems and committed suicide at a young age.

Comment

Stepanov did not excactly drop out of sight after his 2.16 jump. He did 2.12 the following year but finished out of the medals in the Euro Champs that year. He was one of the best Russians but not as good as Kashkarov who was the best Russian prior to Shavlakadze/Brumel.
        Later that year (1957) Ernie Shelton came to Europe with his version of the built-up shoe. It was an ugly contraption that looked like some kind of trap to catch small animals. These guys were limping when thay ran with the 2" shoe.
        Personally I was not a happy camper when the news of Stepanov's jump came over the radio. I was so amazed by Dumas and here is Stepanov taking the record just like that only one year later.

Comment

Good stuff Per. I didn't know any of that.
          Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the information. I have tried for years to find books or videos on the history of Track and Field and the people involved with limited success.

Comment

>Stepanov did not excactly drop out of sight after his 2.16 jump. He did 2.12
              >the following year but finished out of the medals in the Euro Champs that
              >year. He was one of the best Russians but not as good as Kashkarov who was the
              >best Russian prior to Shavlakadze/Brumel.
              Later that year (1957) Ernie
              >Shelton came to Europe with his version of the built-up shoe. It was an ugly
              >contraption that looked like some kind of trap to catch small animals. These
              >guys were limping when thay ran with the 2" shoe.
              Personally I was not a
              >happy camper when the news of Stepanov's jump came over the radio. I was so
              >amazed by Dumas and here is Stepanov taking the record just like that only one
              >year later.

Kashkarov was a big man(over 200 pounds)who never did jump 7' right? I remember he finished third in Melbourne in 1956 but what else did he do? What about Vladamir Sitkin. How would you compare him to Kashkarov?

Comment

Sitkin jumped 2.15 in 1957, presumably with the built up shoe. Next best jump that year was only 2.09. The year before in 1956 he jumped only 2.04, and in 1958, only 2.06. One meet wonder.

Comment

Steve is right, Sitkin was more of a one jump wonder. Kashkarov was one of the absolute top jumpers into the early 60's.
                  Sitkin was never ranked above Kashkarov.
                  Igor Kashkarov was indeed a 7ft jumper. He did 2.14 in '57 the only year Sitkin jumped higher.
                  I saw Kashkarov set a Soviet record in June '56.
                  He was a powerful looking jumper but many straddlers were. Think Steers!

Comment

Russian high jumper Yuriy Styepanov

A student in electrical engineering, Styepanov was originally a LJer/TJer. At age 19 he cleared 6' 0 7/8" with the eastern cut-off, entered the army and improved, in '53, to 6' 4 3/4" along with marks of 24' 4 1/4" and 49'. After jumping 6' 6" and placing fifth at the '54 Euro champs, he was persuaded by his coach, Pavel Goikhman, to change to the straddle. he set a nat'l outdoor record the following year and, in '56, set two Euro indoor records and got over a PR 6' 8 3/8" in September but didn't make the OG team. On 13 July '57 at the Leningrad vs Helsinki meet, he leaped 7' 1 1/8" and, subsequently, had meets of 6' 11 7/8" and (two) 6' 11 1/2". he set another Euro indoor record in '58 and, after the "elevator" shoe was banned, emerged victorious at that year's meet vs the USA, at 6' 11 1/2". He jumped 6' 6 3/4" in '59 and was then injured, got over 6' 8 3/4" twice in '60 and then retired. He, apparently, suffered from severe emotional problems, was admitted to a psychiatric hospital in Leningrad and, subsequently, committed suicide in March '65 at 32. News of his death was never released by the Soviets and it wasn't until L'Equipe broke the story six months later that the world learned of the tragedy. Vladimir Sitkin, from Krasniy Liman, did not make the finals of the '54 Euro champs, placed thrid at the '55 & '56 nationals, placed sixth at Melbourne, won the '57 nationals, jumped 7' 0 5/8" a month later and then placed seventh at the '58 nationals. Injured, he didn't re-emerge until '60, later became a decathlete and jumped 6' 10 1/4" in '63.

Comment

Working...
                    X