Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignorance Proved To Be Bliss

Happy 75th birthday today (Wednesday) to an Olympic champion who also owns an Olympic silver medal.

This champion started out as a high jumper in high school.

Our birthday athlete set a world record in winning that Olympic gold medal.

Rearrange these nine letters to get a clue that might help identify this person: "Foul or DSM."

When our birthday athlete competed in the Olympic Games, this person was not the favorite going into the final.

You must know that our birthday champion did not run the hurdles at the Olympic Games.

Would I give it away if I told you this individual married an Olympic medalist?

Please name our birthday athlete for this second Wednesday of March.

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    Happy 75th birthday today (Wednesday) to an Olympic champion who also owns an Olympic silver medal.

This champion started out as a high jumper in high school.

Our birthday athlete set a world record in winning that Olympic gold medal.

Rearrange these nine letters to get a clue that might help identify this person: "Foul or DSM."

When our birthday athlete competed in the Olympic Games, this person was not the favorite going into the final.

You must know that our birthday champion did not run the hurdles at the Olympic Games.

Would I give it away if I told you this individual married an Olympic medalist?

Please name our birthday athlete for this second Wednesday of March.
    Ann Packer. The clue about marrying an Oly medallist had me going at first, as I was thinking in terms of individual (event) medallists. Gold 800 m, silver 400m

Comment

Happy birthday today (Wednesday) to Ann Packer (75). You may remember that Ann married Robbie Brightwell after the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. Ann did win the women's 800 with a world record of 2:01.1 and the next day Brightwell anchored the British four by 400 relay team to a silver medal in Tokyo. Brightwell was fourth place in the 400 the day before Ann won the women's 800. Tokyo (1964) was only the third time the women's 800 was run in the Olympic Games. Nice going, catson52.

Comment

While officially a world record Sin-Kim Dan (PRK) had twice broken 2 minutes before Tokyo, running 1:59.1 at the 1963 GANEFO games, and 1:58.0 in Sep 1964. All North Koreans were ineligible to compete in Tokyo because they had taken part in the 1963 GANEFO games, but Dan would have been the favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
          While officially a world record Sin-Kim Dan (PRK) had twice broken 2 minutes before Tokyo, running 1:59.1 at the 1963 GANEFO games, and 1:58.0 in Sep 1964. All North Koreans were ineligible to compete in Tokyo because they had taken part in the 1963 GANEFO games, but Dan would have been the favorite.
          Dan was a front runner par excellence. I recall an article (World Sports ?) from the early 1960s. Dan was running against one of the other big names at that time - Gerda Kraan (?). After 600 m or so, Dan had a huge lead, but "died" in the last 200 m, being only a few meters ahead at the tape.

Comment

Working...
          X