Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Ed Whitlock - 86

http://athleticsillustrated.com/rece...ead-at-age-86/

I think he very likely knew what an inspiration he was to so many. Certainly can include me in that group. A live very well lived.

Comment

RIP Ed Whitlock (2:[email protected], etc)

Ed Whitlock passed away from prostate cancer at age 86. Just last October he ran 3:54 at age 85, but his 2:54 marathon at 73 is probably the best age-graded mark in the world (shorter stuff does not require you to run 100-mile weeks for an extended period so you can get lucky with a short period of really good health). He also ran 37:17 10k that year, which is 6:00 pace for the 10k.

There is probably a good thread on LetsRun, where he was a hero to many and probably had fewer detractors there than any great runner.

See the link on the Home Page

Comment

I know 86 is considered a "ripe old age" but it seems that someone who took that good care of himself for that long should live longer. I guess this proves that cancer doesn't discriminate.

Comment

Yes 86 isn't terribly old. While his performances were amazing...but..personally it's one thing to stay active but I don't think this marathon mania is healthy. But to each his own.

Interesting a week after another septuagenarian marathon record holder Warren Utes passed away at 96.
          Last edited by cubehead; 03-14-2017, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Not a lot of evidence that being in good physical condition makes you immune to cancer. He probably had his cancer well under way when he ran 3:54 at age 85.

Comment

RIP Ed Whitlock

I was surprised to see this thread had not yet been created. On Monday, T&F and road running lost an icon. Ed Whitlock redefined what's possible and set WRs right up to his final days. He was 86.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/su...lock-1.4023053

Comment

The thread has been on Historical.

Comment

other than for a few truly iconic figures in the sport, all RIPs go to Historical.

Comment

Working...
                  X