This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream Team: women's 4x1

in new story now posted to home page, Lauryn Williams picks her all-time women's 4x1.

Ignoring for a minute the order in which she put them, I can see why she would have listed Ashford, Rudolph and SAFP.

but-but-but..... Christine Arron on anchor?!!!

I can easily think of a dozen people I'd slide in ahead of her.
    Last edited by gh; 04-07-2017, 08:00 PM.

I can't think of a dozen people, but certainly three or four.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
      in new story now posted to home page, Lauryn Williams picks her all-time women's 4x1.

Would Gwen Torrence be one of them??? I am just curious. Because if I had to pick a dream team, Torrence would anchor.

Comment

Let's make it dream TEAM, then 40.82 needs no further explanation. New WR by over half a second !

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

Ignoring for a minute the order in which she put them, I can see why she would have listed Ashford, Rudolph and SAFP.

You and me both. Arron had a fantastic 1998 season, full of 10.8s. Then she ran 10.73 at Euros, and never broke 10.90 again.

My all-time team has one rule, absolutely and without question: Evelyn runs the anchor. Period. I'd be tempted to put Gail Devers on the third leg, keep Wilma Rudolph on the backstraight, and if we're going all-comers/international, I'd let Merlene Ottey lead off...

...Then again, I'd switch Ottey and Devers, because Devers was better at the start, while Ottey was better at putting distance between herself and anyone else. If anyone needed to be caught from behind at the stretch, Evelyn would surely tag them. >:-P

Comment

Speaking of recent dream teams, what are the chances that this year's 4x100 team for the World Champs in London will be full of Oregon students/alumni? We could end up with a team of Gardner, Prandini, Stevens and Cunliffe. But they would all have to get past Bowie and probably Bartoletta to make it happen.

Comment

I would certainly have to consider Gwen Torrence and Carmelita Jeter at her prime.

Comment

As a dream team is presumably made up of athletes based on their competitive then why no Flo Jo?

Comment

If I had Flo Jo, she would be my anchor. I don't remember her as very good with the baton.

Comment

You guys have obviously overlooked the fact that Arron has run the fastest recorded anchor ever, 9.66. Shame on you.

Arron was a tremendous last leg runner, and I'm very glad Williams said her and didn't just choose Americans/Jamaicans. Arron was the Queen of running people down, superb, much better than Ashford in that category.

Personally I would choose Aueswald on third leg every day of the week.
                    Krabbe has run the fastest recorded second leg ever at 9.70.
                    Last edited by Gabriella2; 03-29-2017, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Arron even holds the 2 fastest anchor legs ever, 9.66 in Montauban & 9.67 in Budapest, all 1998. But she was also the fastest in 2000 OG (discount Jones) and 2003 WC.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriella2 View Post
                        You guys have obviously overlooked the fact that Arron has run the fastest recorded anchor ever, 9.66. Shame on you.

Arron was a tremendous last leg runner, and I'm very glad Williams said her and didn't just choose Americans/Jamaicans. Arron was the Queen of running people down, superb, much better than Ashford in that category.

Personally I would choose Aueswald on third leg every day of the week.
                        Krabbe has run the fastest recorded second leg ever at 9.70.
                        how can any GDR be included?

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                          If I had Flo Jo, she would be my anchor. I don't remember her as very good with the baton.
                          Speaking of baton passing, the third exchange in the 1988 Olympics from Flo-jo to Ashford was a cluster***k, mainly due to Ashford. They probably lost 0.5s on that exchange which why she had to come from behind in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by 1runner1 View Post
                            how can any GDR be included?
                            for the same reason that anybody from any country during that era can be included.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                              Speaking of baton passing, the third exchange in the 1988 Olympics from Flo-jo to Ashford was a cluster***k, mainly due to Ashford. They probably lost 0.5s on that exchange which why she had to come from behind in the first place.
                              I have to watch it again, but I think it's because Evelyn misjudged how fast Flo was coming in, and it made it hard for her to time it as sharply as possible. Otherwise she would have popped another 9.7x anchor.

Now, if only someone caught the splits of the U.S. team's 41.63 and 41.61 performances in 1983...

And have you seen Bruny Surin's men's dream team? Excellent team, just as he has arranged them; but I'm almost tempted to put Carl in the backstraight and make the Big U (8.65 anchor in Nassau in 2015) the Alpha Dog here. I'd bet some people might make a case for Charlie Greene to lead off.

I hope they have someone putting together dream teams for the 4x400s. I already have mine for both the men and women.
                              Last edited by CookyMonzta; 03-30-2017, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X