Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who first set a world record wearing nike ?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who first set a world record wearing nike ?

Henry Rono was the first, second and third to set a world record wearing nike!
    Why is he not mentioned in any nike ads? I visited the nike campus and headquarters in Beaverton and there was nothing, no building or other mention of his nike exploits.

maybe because he went to Washington State and destroyed the Oregon runners of the era?

Comment

That's actually a pretty cool trivia question.

Comment

..and a pretty good answer...

Comment

I'd ask Gordo, are you sure that's the correct answer? I guess adidas and maybe Puma dominated T&F shoes (and spikes) sales during the first half of the 1970s, with Nike's rise starting later in the decade.

Comment

Ha! I googled the question and found that Gordo also posted on letsrun, and the first answer to the question "Why doesn't Nike mention it" was "They would have to acknowledge it was possible to run fast before someone was willing to sell you $120 shoes."

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
              maybe because he went to Washington State and destroyed the Oregon runners of the era?
              I detect some bias there

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                I'd ask Gordo, are you sure that's the correct answer? I guess adidas and maybe Puma dominated T&F shoes (and spikes) sales during the first half of the 1970s, with Nike's rise starting later in the decade.
                my one thought was the Rono's teammate, Samson Kimbowa, might have done it in the 10K the year before, but looks like he was wearing adidas.

Comment

Up till 1974 my recollection was that in my 4 years most of us wear wearing adidas. I think Art Simburg was the John Chaplin clone for shoe reps.

Edit: I hope my memory is correct re Art and I got the right German brand

Comment

Did our track shoes have brand names in the 40s and 50s? The were just black leather shells with thick leather soles and no internal support. The canvas flats were even flatter.

Comment

The late Geoff Hollister, Nike Employee No. 3, wrote in his 2008 memoir "Out of Nowhere" that Henry Rono set Nike's first WR with his 5000 in Berkeley in April 1978 (page 142). Geoff certainly was in a position to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                        Up till 1974 my recollection was that in my 4 years most of us wear wearing adidas. I think Art Simburg was the John Chaplin clone for shoe reps.

Edit: I hope my memory is correct re Art and I got the right German brand
                        Simburg (who for a while was married to Wyomia Tyus) was a Puma guy.

Comment

Charley, You are correct in that Geoff wrote Henry a contract paying Henry $30K for each world record. But my question is why if Henry was the first, second and third person to set records in nike product they never put Henry in prominence such as Pre or others who never set world records.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordo View Post
                            Charley, You are correct in that Geoff wrote Henry a contract paying Henry $30K for each world record. But my question is why if Henry was the first, second and third person to set records in nike product they never put Henry in prominence such as Pre or others who never set world records.
                            Rono could have set a record every week and he wouldn't have been featured as much as Pre. If you don't understand this you probably weren't around at the time.

Comment

I understand that Pre ran most all his life in adidas. He only wore nike for the last year of his life. For those of us who were there at the time, we know nike built on Pre's fame, not on his use of adidas most of this life.

Comment

Working...
                              X