Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "College"

Happy birthday today (Sunday) to an Olympic champion at the age of 17. Can't be too many Olympic champions that fit that description.

Our birthday athlete was born on a Monday 111 years ago and died on a Monday about 47 years ago.

This athlete was born and died within 800 miles of each other.

Competing in two Olympic Games, this person won gold in the first of those two Games.

Six days after winning the Olympic gold medal, our birthday champion turned 18 years of age.

No hurdles were involved in our birthday athlete's Olympic event.

Please name this champion.

I have one educated guess, but I could not quite remember the exact name until I looked it up. So that makes me ineligible to post it here.

Comment

Lee Barnes?

Comment

Very good, LopenUupunut. Lee Barnes (won the Paris pole vault in 1924) was born 111 years ago today in Salt Lake City, Utah. He was a "stunt double" for Buster Keaton in the 1927 movie, "College".
        Last edited by DoubleRBar; 07-17-2017, 02:19 PM.

Comment

No, my swag was LJ'er Hubbard. I feel real bad about this one as Barnes is MY Name !

Comment

Any relation to the Olympic champ?

Comment

Alas, no... not Randy either.

Comment

At least you're not related to Marvin. He was Bad News. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                  At least you're not related to Marvin. He was Bad News. :-)
                  I thought "Bad News" Barnes was Jim/James Barnes, who went to UTEP. Not Marvin, who went to Providence.

Comment

Looks like both James Barnes and Marvin Barnes had the nickname "Bad News."

Comment

When you Google Bad News Barnes, what pops up is references to Marvin, not James (whom I'd never heard of).

Comment

Working...
                      X