Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emiil Zatopek

Happy birthday today (Tuesday) to an Olympic champion who competed in four Olympic Games and won Olympic gold in the first of those four Games.

Our birthday athlete was born on a Saturday 86 years ago today and died on a Wednesday almost seven years ago.

The hurdles were not involved in our birthday athlete's Olympic event.

This champion won Olympic gold on a Saturday at the age of 25.

You probably already know that this champion was the first from a certain nation to clear a certain event barrier.

I might give it away by telling you that our birthday person set more than five world records during a long career.

Who is this champion that was born on the first day of August?

Parry O'Brien fits, but he also won in '52.... do not think that's who you are looking for.

Comment

Since the thread is titled Emiil Zatopek, I tried to think of Melbourne's champs with connection to EZ. Neither Fikotová, nor Mimoun fit the clues. So, I remain clueless .
      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I would guess at Hal Connolly

Comment

Hal Connolly it is, rhymans. Nice job. Connolly is the hammer throw champion from Melbourne in 1956. He was eighth place in Rome (1960) and sixth place in Tokyo (1964), and made the U.S. team to Mexico City (1968), but did not qualify for the finals in Mexico. Hal died at the age of 79 in 2010.

Comment

From Wikipedia, regarding the thread title:

During the 1956 Games, Connolly began a relationship with Czech discus thrower Olga Fikotova, a fellow gold medal winner. They married after the Olympics, the following year in Prague—in three ceremonies there, with a celebration before 40,000 well-wishers. The best man at their wedding ceremony was Czech runner Emil Zátopek.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
              Yes, I should have gone one more step from Fikotová to Connolly.

This is how I recall it. Their olympic romance was highly publicized and Olga was raked over coals by some federation's commissars. Her response was something like "Comrade, when we go to compete, we take our genitals with us." She wanted to continue to compete for Czechoslovakia. That request was denied, so she competed for years in US colors,
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

That's kind of how I remember it, too, although in 1956 I was only ten.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
                  I have a picture of the wedding that I use in some of my Olympic talks, showing Hal, Olga, and Emil and Dana Zatopek as best man and maid of honor.

Comment

Time to indulge me in repeating my story of being invited to the Zatopek's home in Indonesia in 1964. I was in the Peace Corps. Since he was a "commie" we were told by an eminent American Track Coach that we were not to talk to him. I ignored the "order" and got his autograph for a friend of mine who was a huge fan. I was subsequently barred from the Track. I did get the last word as I was invited to have tea with Emil and his wife Dana, and we discussed Track in.... Indonesian.
                    From Wikipedia: after the 1968 Prague Spring, he was stripped of his rank and expelled from the army and the party,[6] removed from all important positions and forced to work in a string of inferior and dangerous positions, such as a uranium mine, refuse collection service, and well digging. On 9 March 1990, Zátopek was rehabilitated by Václav Havel.
                    Last edited by jeremyp; 08-14-2017, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X