Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fahrenheit 451

Happy birthday today (Monday) to an Olympic champion who graduated from the same school as did the Best Supporting Actress from 1947 (The Razor's Edge).

Our birthday athlete died from bronchopneumonia at the age of 32 after winning the Olympic gold medal some 26 days before turning 23 years old.

Some say this champion was born August 21 and some say August 28, but whatever day it was, it was still about 7 1/2 months after Richard Nixon was born.

This athlete won the Olympic gold medal after finishing in fourth place in the previous Olympic Games.

The "Velvet Fog" graduated from the same school as our birthday athlete.

Today marks 104 years since the birth of this champion athlete.

"Rain Man" and "The Graduate" both had the same actor that graduated from the same school as our birthday person.

A certain famous science fiction writer also graduated from this same school.

When our birthday athlete won the Olympic gold medal, it came with a new Olympic record.

No Olympic hurdle events were involved in our birthday athlete's event.

Anyone know this champion? Please name our birthday athlete for this last Monday in August.

I've narrowed it down to about 4 guys, so with a 25 % chance I will say Bob King.

Comment

Cornelius Johnson

Comment

Cornelius Johnson it is. Very good, LopenUupunut. Bob King won the 1928 high jump in Amsterdam. Johnson won the high jump in Berlin (1936). Johnson was only 18 when he placed fourth in Los Angeles in 1932 where he cleared the same height as the three men ahead of him. By the high jump rules used in 1932, a jump-off was required and Cornelius Johnson fell to fourth place.

Comment

My math skills are poor. I knew Nixon was born in 1914, but 23 plus 14 is 37, not 27 ! Hence i thought '28 instead of '36. Sigh....

Comment

No problem, dukehjsteve. You had the right event. Nixon was born in January of 1913 and as far as I know (which isn't very far), he never competed in the high jump. Not sure he ever competed in track & field. He did try to play football.

Cornelius Johnson must have been an amazing athlete. I believe he was also a sprinter at Los Angeles High School. He went to Compton College and not USC because African-Americans were not welcome at USC in those days. With his ability using the western roll, I bet he could have easily cleared 7 feet using the Flop.

Comment

So that's a great question. If the flop had been around in the 1930s/1940s, who would have been the first to clear 7 feet (2.14) and when would that have been. Johnson is a pretty good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                Johnson was only 18 when he placed fourth in Los Angeles in 1932 where he cleared the same height as the three men ahead of him. By the high jump rules used in 1932, a jump-off was required and Cornelius Johnson fell to fourth place.
                Had modern rules been in existence Johnson would have won the Silver medal in 1932.
                Did not know Ray Bradbury went to the same school! Thanks.

Comment

How many losses did Johnson have between the '32 and '36 Olympics? It took him a while to mature into a WR breaker, but I think he had a great record against the other top jumpers even before that.

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut View Post
                    How many losses did Johnson have between the '32 and '36 Olympics? It took him a while to mature into a WR breaker, but I think he had a great record against the other top jumpers even before that.
                    As far as I can tell, Johnson had no more meets in '32 after the Olympics. Then he appears to have been undefeated in '33 (almost exclusively against California high schoolers except for his AAU win), '34 and '35.

In '36, he had two indoor losses in February, then went undefeated the rest of the year.

Comment

By the way, my son got a summer reading list of about thirty book from which he had to pick three. Fahrenheit 451 still made the list after all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by dj View Post
                        As far as I can tell, Johnson had no more meets in '32 after the Olympics. Then he appears to have been undefeated in '33 (almost exclusively against California high schoolers except for his AAU win), '34 and '35.

In '36, he had two indoor losses in February, then went undefeated the rest of the year.
                        Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X