Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jill Montgomery

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jill Montgomery

    I'm curious to which year/'s? she won a US national indoor championship for the pentathlon. All I'm finding is her winning a big 8 conference pentathlon championship in 1995 (4093pts)/letter winner for K-state one year, a pentathlon pb in 1998 of 4,235pts, a season best in 1999 of 4,173pts, a heptathlon pb of 5,462pts, her being the possible fiance of Olympic decathlete Steve Fritz at one point in time, and competed for Accusplit Track Club. Jill's website Four Leaf Productions says "After retiring from a successful USA T&F career where she was a U.S. National Champion".

  • #2
    from teh USATF site

    <<USA Indoor Combined Event Champions

    Women's Pentathlon

    Year Total Name Team
    2016 4415 Barbara Nwaba Santa Barbara TC
    2015 4654 Sharon Day-Monroe Asics
    2014 4805 Sharon Day-Monroe Asics
    2013 4478 Sharon Day Asics
    2012 4567 Sharon Day Asics
    2011 4439 Bettie Wade Nike
    2010 4544 Diana Pickler Asics
    2009 4391 Diana Pickler Asics
    2008 4378 Diana Pickler Asics
    2007 4098 Fiona Asigbee unattached
    2006 4123 Lela Nelson Nike
    2005 4417 Hyleas Fountain Nike
    2004 4224 Tiffany Lott-Hogan unattached
    2003 4317 Tiffany Lott-Hogan unattached
    - 2002 not held >>

    Comment


    • #3
      Did she have any marks in this century?
      Tom Hyland:
      "squack and wineturtle get it"

      Comment


      • #4
        I found nothing past 98'. So, no marks this century.79777.JPG
        -From a Kansas State T&F media guide
        Last edited by ClaireHuxtable; 09-07-2017, 12:06 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          She was never in the top 8 in the USATF or NCAA outdoor heptathlon. I think she retired before the NCAA and USATF created indoor pentathlon championships. She was never a USATF outdoor junior heptathlon champion.

          There is a contact page on her website. Why don't you ask her when she was a national champion and in what event?

          Comment


          • #6
            She is listed in several Kansas State media guides, and this old post, as a U.S. national champion in the women's indoor pentathlon. I think the time frame would be 1995 through 1999. In those days, if there were a USATF indoor combined events championship meet, it would have been separate from the USATF indoor championships. Not important enough to be reported in T&FN, perhaps the results were reported in Track Newsletter.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
              She is listed in several Kansas State media guides, and this old post, as a U.S. national champion in the women's indoor pentathlon. I think the time frame would be 1995 through 1999. In those days, if there were a USATF indoor combined events championship meet, it would have been separate from the USATF indoor championships. Not important enough to be reported in T&FN, perhaps the results were reported in Track Newsletter.
              I could be wrong, but I think there have been USATF indoor multis champs held separately from the rest of the meet even in the period shown on the USATF website (quoted by gh above). If indeed there were pentathlon championships back in the '90s, one would think they'd be on the USATF site, which seems to say they were not held then.

              If I have time later today (not likely) I may do some digging and see what, if anything, I can find elsewhere.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                If indeed there were pentathlon championships back in the '90s, one would think they'd be on the USATF site, which seems to say they were not held then.
                The USATF Web site doesn't have anything before December 1, 2001.

                http://www.usatf.org/Events---Calend...aspx?year=2001
                Last edited by Davidokun; 09-07-2017, 01:36 PM. Reason: Added URL

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
                  The USATF Web site doesn't have anything before December 1, 2001.

                  http://www.usatf.org/Events---Calend...aspx?year=2001
                  This page seems to say that there were no National Indoor Pentathlon championships before 2003.
                  http://www.usatf.org/statistics/USA-...omen/Pent.aspx

                  Note that for other events, they do list champions before then. Example:
                  http://www.usatf.org/statistics/USA-.../women/HJ.aspx

                  So it's not true that the website doesn't have anything before December 1, 2001. It's just the calendar pages that don't go back before then.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                    So it's not true that the website doesn't have anything before December 1, 2001. It's just the calendar pages that don't go back before then.
                    You are correct. In my previous post, I should have written: "The USATF Web site doesn't have any detailed results before December 1, 2001."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Here is what Frank Zarnowski has in one of his guides:

                      Year score winner site
                      1993-94 No meet
                      1995 4696 Kym Carter Moscow, ID
                      1996 4151 Marla Runyan Manhattan, KS
                      1997-02 No meet
                      2003 4317 Tiffany Lott-Hogan Chapel Hill, NC
                      2004 4224 Tiffany Lott-Hogan Chapel Hill, NC
                      2005 4417 Hyleas Fountain Chapel Hill, NC
                      2006 4143 Lela Nelson Chapel Hill, NC
                      2007 4098 Fiona Asigbee Chapel Hill, NC
                      2008 4378 Diana Pickler Chapel Hill, NC
                      2009 4391 Diana Pickler Chapel Hill, NC
                      2010 4544 Diana Pickler Bloomington, IN
                      2011 4439 Bette Wade Bloomington, IN
                      2012 4567 Sharon Day Bloomington, IN
                      2013 4478 Sharon Day Albuquerque, NM
                      2014 4805 Sharon Day-Monroe Albuquerque, NM MR, AR
                      2015 4634 Sharon Day-Monroe Roxbury, MA

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                        I could be wrong, but I think there have been USATF indoor multis champs held separately from the rest of the meet even in the period shown on the USATF website (quoted by gh above).
                        I guess I was right. According to what gm has now posted ALL of the USATF indoor multis champs were separate from the rest of the meet before 2013.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          For what it's worth, I took a closer look at my collection of back issues of T&FN. It appears as though they started, or perhaps restarted, including the combined events in their U.S. indoor lists in 1994. Here is a list of some of Montgomery's appearances therein:

                          Code:
                          Year Month Rank Score Affiliation
                          -----------------------------------
                          1994 May     4  3822  Unattached
                          1995 May     5  4093  Kansas State
                          1996 May     4  4042  Unattached
                          1997 May    =7  3962      "
                          1998 May     1  4235      "
                          1999 April   1* 4171  Accusplit
                          In 1998, the heptathlon is included in the USATF indoor championships results for men:

                          Hept: 1. Barker (GallF) 5867 (AL) (7.01, 23-8¼/7.22, 49-1½/14.97, 6-6¾/2.00 [3336—1], 8.31, 16-¾/4.90, 2:51.84); 2. Smith (adi) 5776; 3. Hinshaw (SBl) 5536; 4. Pope 5502; 5. Pendergrist (una) 5463;...
                          dnf—Rodgers (VISA) 4130 (6) (6.90, 24-6½/7.48, 44-2/13.46, 6-¾/1.85 [3213—2], 8.26, inj), Nichols (AFSp) 2024 (3), Zuber (AFSp) (1).
                          The above result contradicts the USATF Web site, which says that this event was not held in 1998:

                          Perhaps this is further evidence that the information on the USATF Web site is incomplete.

                          Also in 1998, a note on the pentathlon is included in the USATF indoor championships results for women:

                          Pent: cancelled for lack of entries.
                          There is no indication that the heptathlon was, or the pentathlon would have been, conducted at an alternative site that year.

                          __________
                          *As reported in the May 1999 issue, DeDee Nathan won the world indoor championships pentathlon in Maebashi with 4753, a world leader and American Record.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I appreciate the corrections for the USATF site. According to Frank Z., the men's indoor multi was not contested as a national championship in 1993 or 1994.

                            When I took over maintaining/compiling lists and champions for USATF, I used the information that was passed on from the previous person. Where possible, I have updated the information. It's a work in progress!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                              I guess I was right. According to what gm has now posted ALL of the USATF indoor multis champs were separate from the rest of the meet before 2013.
                              Except for the men from 1998 through 2001 in Atlanta...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X