X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    So the operative question is - why is she the 'expert commentator' for ESPN?
    Anyways it appears that era is over...

Is bizarre...basically ESPN didn't care who did commentary.

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    I was wondering the same thing as Atticus yesterday while watching the meet because I had never heard of her. I found this decent article telling how she got the job, although it doesn't explain anything about the possible national pentathlon championship - https://www.montanasports.com/more-s...ture-with-espn

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    So the operative question is - why is she the 'expert commentator' for ESPN?

Leave a comment:

• Wasacat
    replied
    She competed for Kansas State for a year or two. Hardly ever finished an entire heptathlon, usually pulled a hamstring or something in the middle of it. The National Championship she refers to is probably the time in either 94’ or ‘95 Kansas State held an indoor multi events meet because the multis weren’t a part of the USATF indoors. She was the only competitor entered, so she won by default. Not sure about her “professional” career, but I don’t think she competed in the US Championships in 97 or 98.

Leave a comment:

• wineturtle
    replied
    Unique meanings of not held and canceled at play here might require a class in (conceptual?) semantics.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    TN says the '98 Pent was canceled for lack of entries.

Leave a comment:

• Merner521
    replied
    Going through USATF.org on the wayback machine at https://archive.org/ gives this from the preview to the 1998 meet (from april 1998 version of the page):

Pentathlon: DeDee Nathan (Nike Indiana), Ali McKnight (unat), Jill Montgomery (Accusplit).

Notes: The women's multi-event competition will be contested at the indoor championships for the first time this year. A 1997 USA World Championships team member, Nathan was the #2-ranked American heptathlete last season. McKnight was ranked #5.

The heat sheets listed only Nathan and Montgomery (both of whom competed in the long jump).

Perhaps if Nathan pulled out at the last minute, USATF just cancelled the event rather than have one person run (or maybe they cancelled it with only two declared entries).

Back when I was a wrestler (a dangerous sport, apparently ), if you were the only person to report to the mat for a bout, you got your hand raised, and it counted on your record as a win. Maybe that is the rationale here.

Leave a comment:

• ClaireHuxtable
    replied
    I sent Jill Montgomery an email. All though I doubt she'll respond back.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    We certainly have come up with a lot of information here, but are we any closer to figuring out when or where Jill Montgomery may have won a U.S. National Championship?

Leave a comment:

• Davidokun
    replied
    Originally posted by gm View Post
    I appreciate the corrections for the USATF site. According to Frank Z., the men's indoor multi was not contested as a national championship in 1993 or 1994.

When I took over maintaining/compiling lists and champions for USATF, I used the information that was passed on from the previous person. Where possible, I have updated the information. It's a work in progress!
    "Glad to be of service."

Thanks for the insight. Keep up the good work.

I'm grateful for the resources provided by Dr. Z. Otherwise, I would have wasted even more time trying to figure out the meaning of "GallF".

Leave a comment:

• Davidokun
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    I guess I was right. According to what gm has now posted ALL of the USATF indoor multis champs were separate from the rest of the meet before 2013.
    Except for the men from 1998 through 2001 in Atlanta...

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    I appreciate the corrections for the USATF site. According to Frank Z., the men's indoor multi was not contested as a national championship in 1993 or 1994.

When I took over maintaining/compiling lists and champions for USATF, I used the information that was passed on from the previous person. Where possible, I have updated the information. It's a work in progress!

Leave a comment:

• Davidokun
    replied
    For what it's worth, I took a closer look at my collection of back issues of T&FN. It appears as though they started, or perhaps restarted, including the combined events in their U.S. indoor lists in 1994. Here is a list of some of Montgomery's appearances therein:

Code:
    Year Month Rank Score Affiliation
    -----------------------------------
    1994 May     4  3822  Unattached
    1995 May     5  4093  Kansas State
    1996 May     4  4042  Unattached
    1997 May    =7  3962      "
    1998 May     1  4235      "
    1999 April   1* 4171  Accusplit
    In 1998, the heptathlon is included in the USATF indoor championships results for men:

Hept: 1. Barker (GallF) 5867 (AL) (7.01, 23-8¼/7.22, 49-1½/14.97, 6-6¾/2.00 [3336—1], 8.31, 16-¾/4.90, 2:51.84); 2. Smith (adi) 5776; 3. Hinshaw (SBl) 5536; 4. Pope 5502; 5. Pendergrist (una) 5463;...
    dnf—Rodgers (VISA) 4130 (6) (6.90, 24-6½/7.48, 44-2/13.46, 6-¾/1.85 [3213—2], 8.26, inj), Nichols (AFSp) 2024 (3), Zuber (AFSp) (1).
    The above result contradicts the USATF Web site, which says that this event was not held in 1998:

Perhaps this is further evidence that the information on the USATF Web site is incomplete.

Also in 1998, a note on the pentathlon is included in the USATF indoor championships results for women:

Pent: cancelled for lack of entries.
    There is no indication that the heptathlon was, or the pentathlon would have been, conducted at an alternative site that year.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think there have been USATF indoor multis champs held separately from the rest of the meet even in the period shown on the USATF website (quoted by gh above).
    I guess I was right. According to what gm has now posted ALL of the USATF indoor multis champs were separate from the rest of the meet before 2013.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Here is what Frank Zarnowski has in one of his guides:

Year score winner site
    1993-94 No meet
    1995 4696 Kym Carter Moscow, ID
    1996 4151 Marla Runyan Manhattan, KS
    1997-02 No meet
    2003 4317 Tiffany Lott-Hogan Chapel Hill, NC
    2004 4224 Tiffany Lott-Hogan Chapel Hill, NC
    2005 4417 Hyleas Fountain Chapel Hill, NC