Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time champion

Who became a European champion in an individual event the first time he competed in that event?

I don't know the answer, but Zatopek won Olympic gold in his first marathon. Hence, my guess is that the answer is another marathon runner.

Comment

I have no clue. Thinking it was a decathlete but I looked thru that (yes, I cheated but I wasn't going to answer). However, I will tell you it wasn't a decathlete.

Comment

Wasn't Yelena Romanova's win in 1990 her first race over 10000?
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Juha Vaatainen?

Comment

Powell - good guess with Romanova - it's slightly uncertain - she said it was her first 10k, but the entry list showed her at 32:25.08. However, the question definitely referred to "he", not he or she.

Väätainen had run 2 10k's earlier in the season, losing to Tuomininen in Athens on June 12 in his debut, before winning the NC on July 23, 2 1/2 weeks before the magnificent Helsinki win.

What I was after was Raphael Pujazon, who had been selected for the 5k in Oslo in 1946. He ran poorly there, finishing more than 38 seconds behind Wooderson, in 8th place. He was a late entry for the steeplechase, led from the gun to win by almost 10 seconds in 9:01.4 [the world best at the time was 8:58.6]. Although he was a good x-c runner, he'd never tried the steeplechase before.

Comment

Nice trivia question

Comment

At 2:47 AM, most normal people are asleep !

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
                  At 2:47 AM, most normal people are asleep !
                  1) It was 2:57 AM
                  2) I ain't normal

Comment

Working...
                  X