Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: All-time prison team?

Seem to have got the sprints through mid-distance covered. Ditto for the jumps. We need some more throwers though. Guess the decathlete felon could do in a pinch. There must be some NFL guys who were good in College locked up somewhere I would have thought, or some other Eastern Europeans.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>don't forget Andre Cason for your
    >4x100!

>check-kiting, as I recall

Cason was always a class act. He and Keith Holley (on this list above) were roommates at one time. Probably not cellmates now since check kiters and murderers probably aren't allowed to share digs.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

New Zealand Decathlete (PB 8366 points) did jail time recently for importing drugs (not the streoid type) into NZ.

Leave a comment:

• Per Andersen
    replied

Did not Armin Hary do time for fraud a couple of years ago? There you have your leadoff guy for the sprint relay.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied

don't forget Andre Cason for your 4x100!

check-kiting, as I recall

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Donnie Miller was a 45/46 sec. 400 runner for Cal State LA in the late 70's, he spent a couple of years in the state pen.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Gerry Lindgren has been living under an assumed name in Hawaii for years. Is he on the lam?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Mark Everett was once arrested for beating his wife, according to the Gainesville Sun. Anyone know if he did time?

James Stallworth, a mega-talent long jumper and 200 runner for Fresno State, did time; for dealing coke I think.

I believe former Auburn sprinter Daron Council fought the law and the law won; FBI agent on the take, wasn't it?

Darryl Robinson... note the 4x4's easily a sub-3:00 group.

Roddy Haley... The Comet!

Triple jumper Keith Holley (54-ft-plus guy, I think) went to the slam for murder.

Former Arkansas miler Michael Byrd also went in for murder.

Keep 'em coming...

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied

Geoff Nelson (who does constant research on straddle high jumpers) told me in an email a few months ago that Ni Chih-Chin was in prison in China and slated to be released sometime this year. I don't know why he was incarcerated.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

... and Eric Liddell, died in an internment camp in 1945.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

OK...if we're going to include political prisoners, Wolfgang Schmidt would probably qualify....

Leave a comment:

• jsquire
    replied

>Do we count prisoners of war? If so, Louis
    >Zamperini comes to mind.

I bet there were better runners who were in prison. But no runner ever survived a more difficult experience. There was an article a few years back called "The World's Toughest Miler" and the title was right on.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

Do we count prisoners of war? If so, Louis Zamperini comes to mind.

Leave a comment:

• jsquire
    replied

>you know why we call it
    >football? Because you use your bloody feet!)

I'd read that centuries ago it was originally a catch-all for any ball game that was played on foot (as opposed to on horseback). I much prefer "football" and "athletics" to "soccer" and "track and field (and racewalking and cross country and road racing)". Just so much simpler.

Leave a comment:

• jsquire
    replied

>Devil's
    >advocate question: how do you know it was unjust?
    >Just because every running rag in the world
    >jumped on the story with plots that ran along the
    >line of "he's a runner, therefore he must be
    >innocent"? As I recall, when the "new"
    >government finally came in his sentence was
    >commuted but he was never declared innocent.

The old Mengistu government was more corrupt and terrible than most of us can imagine. Quite literally, the Baathists didn't look so bad in comparison. The evidence against Wolde published in the western press was the testimony of one individual, who was originally accused of the murder himself. The accused was a government member, Wolde was not, and that was that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X