Leave a comment:

• Bruce Kritzler
    replied
    Pretty good "straight pole" vaulter

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied
    Originally posted by DET59 View Post

LOL- this is awesome! anyone know who the "actor" is who cleared the wall?
    IIRC, it's Anthony Curran.

Leave a comment:

• DET59
    replied
    Originally posted by highjumpfan View Post
    Kory Tarpening?​
    LOL- this is awesome! anyone know who the "actor" is who cleared the wall?

Leave a comment:

• highjumpfan
    replied
    Kory Tarpening?​

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by gm View Post

Good old West London Stadium! First time we went to a meet there in the late 70s, I was fascinated by the huge prison next door.
    My first job was in the office of a large construction company. We were bidding for some refurbishment work in the prison and I went on the site visit. It was very interesting. It was a sunny summer's day and there was a cricket match in the exercise yard. Despite this, I really don't think I could work there. Another thing I noticed was that the inmates I saw who were serving relatively short sentences tended to look like the kind of person most people would try to avoid, while those I saw serving longer sentences just looked like a random group of guys.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

Well his best vault was 24 cm higher than that of convicted narcotics dealer Keith Stock mentioned upthread.

Makes me wonder whether PVers are in a security category of their own in prisons! I remember in the early 1980s, I travelled to a meet with a team from my local club in west London. The access road to the track car park ran alongside a perimeter wall of Britain's then largest prison, Wormwood Scrubs. There was a security alert and the coach we were in was stopped. There was some anxiety because we had some vaulting poles on board!
    Good old West London Stadium! First time we went to a meet there in the late 70s, I was fascinated by the huge prison next door.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by DET59 View Post

I imagine he shoots to the top of the PV list ?
    Well his best vault was 24 cm higher than that of convicted narcotics dealer Keith Stock mentioned upthread.

Makes me wonder whether PVers are in a security category of their own in prisons! I remember in the early 1980s, I travelled to a meet with a team from my local club in west London. The access road to the track car park ran alongside a perimeter wall of Britain's then largest prison, Wormwood Scrubs. There was a security alert and the coach we were in was stopped. There was some anxiety because we had some vaulting poles on board!

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by steveu View Post
    Wow, this thread is almost 19 years old and still going strong. Has any T&FN thread had relevant posts so many years apart?
    I think You, A Desert Island, and your iPod has gone on for a long time - longer than the iPod, any many posters here may not know what an iPod was.

Leave a comment:

• DET59
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
    Oly PVer Kory Tarpenning convicted of not keeping up with his taxes, gets three months in a fed prison to ponder the errors of his ways: https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/202...for-fraud.html
    I imagine he shoots to the top of the PV list ? I'm still laughing 14 years later about the 100 meter lane assignments.

Leave a comment:

• steveu
    replied
    Wow, this thread is almost 19 years old and still going strong. Has any T&FN thread had relevant posts so many years apart?

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Oly PVer Kory Tarpenning convicted of not keeping up with his taxes, gets three months in a fed prison to ponder the errors of his ways: https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/202...for-fraud.html

Leave a comment:

• Chicago
    replied
    On a lighter note, I read that Ron Clarke was arrested for obstructing traffic while jogging across the Golden Gate bridge during a photo shoot to publicize an indoor track meet in San Francisco.

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    I was searching to find details of a portable indoor track used in Australia (early 90s?) for a short series of meets downunder for the thread 'smallest tracks'. It was very small and I doubt it was anywhere near a 200m circuit.

The series was organised by a former Australian 400m Hurdler, Ken Elphick, who had promoted very successful international meets in AUS & NZL in the late 70s.

Then I remembered he did time too. Two and a half years for fraud. And was back in court again on similar charges later.

Though he didn't make the 1976 Olympic team, he wasn't that far away (50.7 PB) and had raced on the circuit in Europe.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...932eeae38ce05c
    Last edited by Vault-emort; 04-13-2021, 10:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Add former NCAA 10,000m champ Boaz Cheboiywo to the team

Headline - Former Eastern Michigan University track star faces drunken driving charges in fatal crash

>>Cheboiywo is currently lodged in the Washtenaw County Jail with bond set at $200,000. Operating under the influence of intoxicating liquor causing death is punishable by up to 15 years in prison.<<

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor...tal-crash.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X