Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Event

This month's "Big Event" happened 34 years ago today in North America. It was a world record for an athlete who came from Europe and captured gold. This world record has since been beaten and is now held by another athlete who speaks the same language as the person in our "Big Event". Can you name the athlete and the event? Bonus points if you know the world record too.

I witnessed this one first hand: F.M.A. "Daley" Thompson over J├╝rgen Hingsen. Just shy of the WR at that time.

Comment

Very good, Davidokun. It is Daley Thompson who won the decathlon in Los Angeles at the 1984 Olympic Games. Thompson won the L.A. decathlon with one point shy of the world record, however he gained that one point after the 110 hurdles photograph was re-read. He became the new world record holder when the new 1984 scoring tables came into use.

Daley Thompson beat Jurgen Hingsen by over 100 points. I believe there were two key events on the second day (August 9, 1984) for Thompson. First was the discus and the second was the pole vault where Daley cleared 5.10 after Hingsen could only manage the opening height of 4.50 and that cost him a lot of points.

Anyone else witness this decathlon 34 years ago today?

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
        Anyone else witness this decathlon 34 years ago today?
        I did.

Comment

With me that makes three and I know Garry Hill makes four of us.

Comment

I was there too.

Comment

That's five.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                That's five.
                Not only was I there (that's six), but prior to the Games he competed in two all-comers meets I directed. He brought along British teammates for each. A vaulter beat him in one, a 400m runner beat him in the other.
                I have had some fun in the decades since by noting that Thompson may have won the Olympics Gold, but he didn't win in my meets.
                Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

I was there and can attest that Bob Hersh was announcing it.

Comment

You can hear Bob Hersh's announcing voice at several Olympics. I guess that now makes eight of us.

Comment

Working...
                    X