Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High schoolers in the world rankings

There is a very good chance that Mondo Duplantis will be #1 in the TFN pole vault world rankings. Thinking back, which high schoolers have been in the world rankings? Here's what I know, I'm sure I'm missing some.

Allyson Felix - #7, 200m, 2003
    Roy Martin - #3, 200m, 1985; #5, 200m, 1984*
    Darrell Robinson - #5, 400m, 1982
    Carl Lewis - #5, LJ, 1979
    Houston McTear - #10, 100m, 1975
    Casey Carrigan - #6, PV, 1969
    Reynaldo Brown - #5, high jump, 1968
    Jerry Proctor - #7, LJ, 1967
    Jim Ryun - #4, 1500, 1965
    Ulis Williams - #2, 400m, 1961
    Rex Cawley - #10, 110H, 1959; #8, 400H, 1959
    Dallas Long - #2, SP, 1958
    Charley Dumas - #3, HJ, 1955
    Monte Upshaw - #5, LJ, 1954
    Milt Campbell - #2, Deca, 1952
    George Brown - #9, LJ, 1950
    Bob Mathias - #2, Deca, 1948

*is this the only one who ranked as a high school junior?

"There is a very good chance that Mondo Duplantis will be #1 in the TFN pole vault world rankings."

Not with Kendricks holding a 6-1 H-T-H advantage over Duplantis this year.

Comment

Dwayne Evans - #4, 200m, 1976.
      Bill Green - #6, 400m, 1979
      John Thomas - #10, HJ, 1958
      Paul Wilson - #7, PV, 1965

Chandra Cheeseborough, #9, 100m, 1976; #5, 200m, 1975*
      Denean Howard - #9, 400m, 1981*
      Mary Decker - #10, 800m, 1974
      Vashti Cunningham - #7, HJ, 2016 (you shoulda got this one)
      Kathy McMillan - #2, LJ, 1976; #3, LJ, 1975*
      Barbara Friedrich - #2, JT, 1967; #10, JT, 1966*

Reynaldo Brown was a junior in 1968, and Houston McTear was a junior in 1975.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
        "There is a very good chance that Mondo Duplantis will be #1 in the TFN pole vault world rankings."

Not with Kendricks holding a 6-1 H-T-H advantage over Duplantis this year.
        I was pondering something like this yesterday, if a HSer had ever WRed #1 at the end of the year, and realized the same thing, that it still has to be Kendricks

Comment

Even if he ends up 'only' #2, he would still be in a special group, judging by the list AyZiggy has put together here.

Comment

Thabks for filling in the gaps. Got another one:

Bill Hairston - #9, LJ, 1951

Next question: has a high school record ever exceeded the collegiate record? I mean, besides right now with the men’s pole vault.

Comment

Originally posted by AyZiggy View Post

*is this the only one who ranked as a high school junior?
              other than Mondo at #6 last year, of course.

Comment

Next question: has a high school record ever exceeded the collegiate record? I mean, besides right now with the men’s pole vault.
                I've got an answer to this. Under TFN's current definition of "collegiate record", the shot put record as of 1958 would have been Dave Davis' 60' 5" at that year's Compton Invitational. He was third behind WR holder Parry O'Brien and 17-year-old Dallas Long, who set the HS record of 61' 1/2".

Comment

Thabks for filling in the gaps. Got another one:

Bill Hairston - #9, LJ, 1951

Ryun's 3:55.3?

Comment

I believe you are correct. Under current rules or not, at that time the collegiate mile record would have been Tom O'Hara's world indoor record 3:56.4 at the Chicago Daily News Relays.

Comment

When you say 'high schoolers', do you implicitly mean 'US high schoolers'? Because there have been multiple athletes from other countries who reached world ranking while they were still at school.
                      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Another: Gerry Lindgren's 3-mile (13:17.0), 5000 (13:44.0), 6-mile (28:07.0) and 10,000 (29:02.0) were all superior to the then-collegiate records.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                          When you say 'high schoolers', do you implicitly mean 'US high schoolers'? Because there have been multiple athletes from other countries who reached world ranking while they were still at school.
                          I did mean that and failed to indicate so.

Comment

Thanks AyZiggy for interesting and challenging lists. I took your list and JRorick's addition to the high school men's group and there were 21 athletes with the following:
                            Field events: 11, Hurdles: 1, Decathalon: 2, 400m: 3, mile:1, 200: 2 and 100m 1
                            1950's had 7, 1960's had 6, 1970's had 4 and the 50's and 80's each had 2 (none since the 80's??)

Since these were all high school athletes I calculated their age based on birthday to September 1st of their year on the World List.
                            Youngest was John Thomas at 17 yr, 6.0 months
                            Oldest was Ulis Williams at 19yr, 10.3 months
                            Mondo Duplantis would be third oldest as he calculated to 18 yr 9.7 months on 9/1/18
                            Rex Cawley was only other 19 yr + at 19 yr 1.9 mos
                            Mathias was in World Rankings for two years as "high Schooler" 1948 and 1949 and Roy Martin was only other two timer in 1984 and 1985.

I could not find ages for Bill Hairston or Jerry Proctor.

Please correct any errors I may have made

The other 17+ year athletes which is a very select group of high schoolers to be included in the World Ranking Lists are:
                            Mathias in 1948 (17 yr 9.5 mos), John Thomas, Reynaldo Brown (17 yr 8.9 mos); Dwayne Evans (17 yrs 10.6 mos), and Roy Martin

I didn't include Lindgren as I didn't have data.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                              in the language of T&FN world, "high schoolers" always means U.S.

Comment

Working...
                              X