Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank You - Pete Riegel (1935 – 2018)

Thank You - Pete Riegel (1935 – 2018)

Ted Corbitt’s greatest contribution to the sport of long distance running was his leadership in developing the process to accurately measure road race courses across the United States. Pete Riegel extended the work of first generation course certifiers and record keeper; John Jewell, John Sterner, Aldo Scandurra, Ron Daws,Norman Brand, Tom Osler, Alan Jones, David Senechalle, Robert Letson, Ken & Jennifer Young and others. Pete followed these pioneers and mentored the next two generation of course certifiers with both his founding of Course Measurement News, and willingness to help others. To quote Jim Gerweck “If Ted Corbit was the George Washington of course measurement then Pete Riegel was certainly its Jefferson.”

In my quest to preserve the history of long distance running a person like Pete was a tremendous blessing. At a point when I was beginning to organize my father’s collection, Pete provided me with a CD that had all the major documents related to course measurement history already electronically stored. This showed his profound respect towards properly preserving running history. For this I say thank you Pete.

I also thank the many course certifiers who today continue to build on the foundation set by the pioneers of the 1960s and early 1970s.

Gary Corbitt
    Curator: Ted Corbitt Archives
    Historian: National Black Marathoners Association (NBMA)

A great contributor to our sport. I saw a couple issues of the RRTC newsletter and it was amazing.

Comment

Working...
    X