X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryun, Keino & career lengths

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Second coming of Jim Ryun is not a bad thing to be
    I love Jim Ryun, but he did burn out and his Oly experiences were frustrating.

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Then again, if Jakob ever wins an Olympic silver, he should be pretty happy.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Yeah...horrible... 3:37 at 7500 feet for silver... Against an opponent with his own first class rabbit, in an environment ideally suited for him...

If Ingebrigtsen has one season as dominating as Ryun's 1967....that would be something... The length of a career is sometimes over rated...

Also burn out is a bit over simplifying things.... In those days competing much after college was not that common...
      Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-13-2018, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
        Second coming of Jim Ryun is not a bad thing to be
        Ditto on that...he still has a way to go to match Ryun..

Comment

Ryun, Keino & career lengths

Using Ryun as an example of lack of longevity is not helpful. He came down with mononucleosis and was never the same after that. This (or debilitating illness or injury) could happen to any young athlete.

The cause of Ryun's "burnouot" has been mentioned on other threads.

Comment

calling Ryun a "burnout" is to be judging by modern standards of longevity. Gotta remember he ran in the amateur era, when careers were nothing like today's. Would you call Kip Keino a burnout? He was World Ranked in the 1500 in 8 seasons, 1965-72. Guess what? Jim Ryun was also ranked 1965-72 (but only 7 times, missing '70). Both had pretty long careers among the elite for that era.

Comment

One difference, though, between Ryun and Keino. Ryun's 7 world rankings were (in order) 4,1,1,2,7,6,9. Keino was ranked 8 times, never lower than #2. Ryun definitely faded from the top later in his career (largely, I believe, because of the lingering effects of his illness). That didn't happen to Keino.

Comment

Ryun did make the 1972 Olympics...who knows what might have happened if he hadn't tripped...also Ryun was married and raising a family...so comparisons with Keino are iffy at best....imagine if the Olympics at been in 1967 at sea level what effect that would have had on Keino...Ryun would have destroyed him...

People recover from mono....who knows what racing at 7500 did...it ruined Clarke's career...

Anyways the 1966-7 Ryun is enough....far more than Keino ever did...how does one top that...

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                  Ryun was married and raising a family...
                  So was Keino:

Comment

Originally posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
                    Maybe some Kenyan we haven't heard of yet. So, you are saying it is impossible for someone to appear on the scene who just might defeat JI in 1500 Tokyo '20 or Eugene '21? Or do you think he will run 3:43 or 3:25 prior to Tokyo?

Do most here feel JI much stronger mentally than Ryun? And, how much did having 2 older brothers to train with and learn from help him?
                    I am sorry but I am not on the JI train to this extent. I think he might medal in Tokyo but to be stating that there is no one around to challenge him is ludicrous to me. The young Kenyan and Ethiopian (etc.) athletes his age have had no where near the expertise and training environment at ages 15-17; he does not get that gain that you typically see as an athlete comes on to the world stage. Even if Mondo stayed in college for four years he will make nowhere near the improvements as dozens of high school seniors. Similarly, I think, for IJ - he has already harvested gains that are typically seen between 18 and 22 and will not get to ride that part of the improvement curve.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                      Ryun did make the 1972 Olympics...who knows what might have happened if he hadn't tripped...also Ryun was married and raising a family...so comparisons with Keino are iffy at best....imagine if the Olympics at been in 1967 at sea level what effect that would have had on Keino...Ryun would have destroyed him...

People recover from mono....who knows what racing at 7500 did...it ruined Clarke's career...

Anyways the 1966-7 Ryun is enough....far more than Keino ever did...how does one top that...
                      Keino's record in events other than the 1500 was much better than Ryun's, the 1:44.9y notwithstanding. 5K WR, 3K WR (probably his best time, even though he didn't run that event much), steeple Oly gold, 5K Oly silver, 3-mile gold ahead of Clarke at the '66 Commonwealth Games.

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut View Post
                        Keino's record in events other than the 1500 was much better than Ryun's, the 1:44.9y notwithstanding. 5K WR, 3K WR (probably his best time, even though he didn't run that event much), steeple Oly gold, 5K Oly silver, 3-mile gold ahead of Clarke at the '66 Commonwealth Games.
                        Indeed...his 3000 wr in 1965 was incredible....Clarke tells of getting a call in the middle of the night thinking he heard 7:49 a small improvement and going back to sleep....but then suddenly realized it was 7:39!

Keino could also be a sore loser...watch the London 1967 1500 where Ryun destroyed Keino with a blazing finish and spot Keino's reaction afterwards...
                        Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-16-2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

split off from a modern thread

Comment

Jolly good...

Comment

Thanks for a timely reminder.

Comment

Working...
                              X