Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John van Reenen - RIP

Don't follow this as closely since not an Olympian but got a tweet that he also died recently - https://twitter.com/pjvazel/status/1032290991015948288
    Last edited by gh; 08-23-2018, 08:15 PM.

A classic cover...The first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread.

Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-22-2018, 08:29 PM.

Comment

college teammate..... great-great guy

major diabetes problems for many years... affected his eyes, cost him at least a chunk of one leg.

Comment

Even though I'm not a big throws fan....that cover of Van Reenen is one of my favorites.

Comment

the only subject ever to do his own T&FN cover!

selfie, '70s style :-)

Comment

A more recent self-portrait

JvR.jpg

Comment

My recollection of seeing him for the first time up close in the late '70s, was of how simply enormous he was. Something like 6-8/275, I think.

Comment

more details in a post now on home page

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                  the only subject ever to do his own T&FN cover!

selfie, '70s style :-)
                  I'm curious who actually was in charge in picking the cover in those days. One of the Nelson brothers I presume. There were some very interesting ones then...another of my favorites is the December 1970 cover having Bachelor, Misner staring off and Shorter wildly pointing is great...a real story without words instead of the usual action photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                    I'm curious who actually was in charge in picking the cover in those days. One of the Nelson brothers I presume. ...
                    Responsibility fell to the managing editor, Dick Drake, with Bert Nelson's imprimatur, of course.

Cordner Nelson never worked a day of his life at the magazine proper. He sent in his writings from his farm in Stockton.

Comment

Responsibility fell to the managing editor, Dick Drake, with Bert Nelson's imprimatur, of course.

Cordner Nelson never worked a day of his life at the magazine proper. He sent in his writings from his farm in Stockton.
                      Re CN, not even in the very early days? I believe the brothers started the magazine some time in the late forties.

Comment

my statement stands

(first-ever edition was February '48)

Comment

if you've got accesibility, you can now read on the front page the "from the vaults" story on John that goes with that cover.

Comment

my statement stands

(first-ever edition was February '48)
                            When did you start as editor, GH? Wasn't it around March 1948?

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                              When did you start as editor, GH? Wasn't it around March 1948?
                              Good question!

Comment

Working...
                              X