Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warwick Selvey RIP

Warwick Selvey died 16 Aug 2018 in Sakon Nakhon, Thailand. Cardiac arrest after a hip replacement surgery.

1960/64 Olympian in SP/DT - 1962 British Empire Games champion in the DT. Won 18 Australian titles in the SP and DT

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Warwick Selvey died 16 Aug 2018 in Sakon Nakhon, Thailand. Cardiac arrest after a hip replacement surgery.

1960/64 Olympian in SP/DT - 1962 British Empire Games champion in the DT. Won 18 Australian titles in the SP and DT
    Warwick described himself as "Osteopath, Chiropractor, Acupuncturist, Olympic athlete and British Commonwealth gold medalist, winner of more Australian athletic tites than any other man."

Well, at least he did in an add for Chinese hand exercise balls back in the 1980s!

He worked on Australia's Gold Coast for years but was apparently living in Thailand in retirement. He looked pretty fit last year at 77.

Comment

First Aussie to throw a discus more than 50m - his best of 58.90m coming in 1967. Still #16 on our all-time list.

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort View Post
        First Aussie to throw a discus more than 50m - his best of 58.90m coming in 1967. Still #16 on our all-time list.
        V-e, I couldn't find an evolution of the Australian discus record online, so I cobbled this together starting with the last sub-50m record holder. Source: AA annuals and an online list by Tarbotton starting with Martin:

Dist First Last State Location Date
        49.67 Vesmonis Balodis V Melbourne 09.03.59
        50.47 Warwick Selvey V Melbourne 23.01.60
        51.21* Selvey V Melbourne 12.03.60
        52.31 Selvey V Melbourne 18.05.60
        54.89 Selvey V Sydney 13.08.60
        55.09 Selvey V Melbourne 10.03.62
        56.06 Selvey V Perth 16.10.62
        56.48+ Selvey V Perth 26.11.62
        56.87 Selvey V Melbourne 03.12.64
        57.26 Selvey V Melbourne 20.12.66
        58.38 Selvey V Melbourne 07.01.67
        58.90 Selvey V Adelaide 25.02.67
        59.00 Wayne Martin N Brisbane 15.01.77
        60.18 Martin N Sydney 16.02.77
        62.44 Martin N Sydney 06.05.78
        65.06 Martin N Melbourne 03.01.79
        65.08 Martin N Newcastle 03.01.79
        65.62 Werner Reiterer V Melbourne 15.12.87
        66.37 Benn Harradine N Salinas 05.09.10
        66.45 Harradine N Split 05.09.10
        67.53 Harradine N Townsville 05.05.12
        68.20 Harradine N Townsville 10.05.13
        *List of records says 51.21 - annual ranking list says 51.71.
        + Exceeded the Australian all-comers record of 56.36 set by Al Oerter in the 1956 OG.

Improvements:

Selvey 9.23m
        Martin 6.18m
        Reiterer 0.54m
        Harradine 2.58m
        Last edited by El Toro; 08-30-2018, 06:15 AM. Reason: removed incorrect & duplicate record from table

Comment

Harradine 66.45 twice at Split?

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
            From IAAF Results of 1st Continental Cup, four throws in the competition:

Attempt 1 64.72
            Attempt 2 66.45
            Attempt 3 64.90
            Attempt 4 65.20

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/ia...w/final/series

Comment

The most recent four Harradine marks on that list are all doubles. I assume that's some kind of computer program glitch.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                The most recent four Harradine marks on that list are all doubles. I assume that's some kind of computer program glitch.
                Thanks for picking that up. My fault for focusing on extracting the old records correctly from almanacs and assuming that copying a table off the internet is so simple it doesn't need checking.

I was actually surprised that Athletics Australia hadn't (& still hasn't) published an obituary. They used to be all over that sort of stuff. Maybe it's not considered "positive corporate comms" nowadays.

Talking of almanacs, AA's statistician (Paul Jenes) and his worker elves have digitised these back to 1952 for men and 1967 for women. That's not a patriarchal conspiracy - there were separate men's and women's organisations.

Available here for any history buffs: http://athhistory.sportstg.com/almanac/index.htm

Comment

In the past two weeks this is the second case that I've read about of someone dying from complications from joint replacement surgery. I had my left hip replaced last November and am glad that I didn't read of these type of incidents. An orthopedic surgeon I know had a woman suffer a massive stroke last month the day after her hip replacement. The doctors knew that she was at risk and supposedly took all the appropriate precautions. We've kind of gotten to the point of taking such surgery for granted, but it simply isn't the case.

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE View Post
                    In the past two weeks this is the second case that I've read about of someone dying from complications from joint replacement surgery. I had my left hip replaced last November and am glad that I didn't read of these type of incidents. An orthopedic surgeon I know had a woman suffer a massive stroke last month the day after her hip replacement. The doctors knew that she was at risk and supposedly took all the appropriate precautions. We've kind of gotten to the point of taking such surgery for granted, but it simply isn't the case.
                    He actually had a cardiac arrest after hip replacement surgery. While a complication, granted, sometimes cardiac events after non-cardiac surgery are simply events waiting to happen that are triggered by the stress of the surgery.

I had one happen to me in my career - after outpatient carpal tunnel surgery (wrist). Surgery took 15 minutes under local anaesthesia. He went home and died that afternoon. Sometimes its just your time.

Comment

Working...
                    X