Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I'm 64

Happy birthday today (Monday) to an Olympic champion who won that gold medal, not without some controversy.

This athlete was born the same year that Roger Bannister made history by running the first sub-four minute mile.

Our birthday person competed in only one Olympic Games and did not compete in the hurdles.

You might be interested to know that this champion was born on a Friday, won the Olympic gold medal on a Friday, and had a son who was also pretty good at a certain event.

The Olympic city where our birthday person won gold is not that far from our birthday athlete's birth site.

Can you guess the name of today's birthday champion using just these clues? It may not be that easy, but I believe some of you know the answer. Give it a try.

The clue makes me think this athlete was born in 1954. So their gold medal was probably won in 1976, 1980 or 1984. The controversy and the son suggest to me it may have been the 1980 Triple Jump champion Jaak Uudmae. I think his namesake son later competed for Estonia which was where Jaak senior also hailed from.

Comment

Happy 64th birthday today (Monday) to Jaak Uudmae who won the triple jump in Moscow (1980). Excellent work, Trickstat. Uudmae was born approximately 540 miles (867 km) from Moscow. A friend of mine who was in Moscow for the 1980 Olympics wrote about the triple jump (and over events) with the title "To Catch A Cheat".

Comment

But Uudmäe was no cheater. The officials (probably) were. As far as I understand, the officials would actually have preferred to have Viktor Saneyev as the winner.

Comment

You're right, Olli and I did not intend to portray Uudmae as a cheat. The article ("To Catch A Cheat") was written, not about the athletes, but rather the Moscow Olympic officials in charge of those various events (like the triple jump). Of course these officials have denied any wrongdoing at the 1980 Olympic Games.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
            A friend of mine who was in Moscow for the 1980 Olympics wrote about the triple jump (and over events) with the title "To Catch A Cheat".
            Is this it?

Comment

Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
              Ah, Jim Dunaway. Miss him. He drove most places and we got together several times in Durham, NC when he came near there.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidokun View Post
                Yes, that is it. Jim Dunaway was an excellent journalist and he loved the Olympics. He is still missed today.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                  Yes, that is it. Jim Dunaway was an excellent journalist and he loved the Olympics. He is still missed today.
                  Very much so.

Comment

Working...
                  X