Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Paul Koech (1969-2018)

https://www.foxsports.com/other/stor...s-at-49-090518

That's sad news...I remember him well...

Comment

He is still seventh on the all-time 10000 list and was also a perennial contender at the World Cross-Country and, of course, excellent on the roads. He probably was a little unfortunate as an athlete to be a little overshadowed by his compatriot and contemporary Paul Tergat.

Comment

Paul Koech ran sub-27 three successive years at Van Damme, 1996-7-8, each time trailing Tergat. In '96 they were both behind Saha Hissou's WR. In 97-98, Tergat won both times, setting the WR 26:27.85 to Koech's 26:36.26 the first time, then 26:46.44 to 26:47.89 the second.

Odd, but remarkable trivia: The 2 Kenyans finishing sub-27 and in successive order three straight years in the same meet.

Comment

Hmm, more odd (unrelated) trivia I noticed while looking at a-t 10k list. Since Rupp ran 26:44 in May '14, no one has run faster. He has the last sub-26:45 on the books. With the 10k being run less and less, one wonders how long that will hold true.

Comment

Until Brussels I would have thought forever....who knows now...

Comment

I'll go out on a limb here and predict it doesn't happen at eitehr the '19 WC or '20 OG :-)

Comment

Working...
              X