Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Event

Our "Big Event" for September happened 36 years ago today (Saturday) in Europe. It took place on a Wednesday in a city which has held the Olympic Games three times. The athlete who set this world record has two Olympic gold medals in this event.

Can you name the athlete and the event? Extra credit if you can give the world record mark set on this date 36 years ago.

The location is Athens [1896, 1906 and 2004]. Nomen set WRs at the 1982 Euopeans. Bärbel Wöckel qualified as a double gold medallist, but she didn't set a WR. Marita Koch did set a WR [48.15] but only won one 400 title. So, it can only be Ulrike Meyfarh, 72 and 84 champion) who jumped 2.02 in Athens

Comment

So, world record in London in 1982 by a double Olympic Champion. Seb Coe comes to mind, but I don't think he made WR in 1982. I'm just guessing, but Sedykh perhaps?

Comment

Do you count the 1906 games as "real" Olympics? I don't think IOC does.

Comment

I'm fairly sure it was the IOC who set up the 1906 Games, and not DoubleRBar in anticipation of setting devious quiz questions

Comment

IOC does not count 1906 as an official Olympics though they certainly were. We count them and the International Society of Olympic Historians count them and petitioned the IOC several years ago to reconsider with a long white paper on the topic. They refused to reconsider it.

Comment

Very good, rhymans. It was Ulrike Meyfarth who set a world high jump record in Athens on September 8, 1982. She cleared 2.02 (6' 7 1/2"). The extra credit goes to rhymans and yes, I count Athens as holding the Olympics three times.

Comment

rhymans, you are too smart and knowlegable for the rest of us ! Boo, hiss.

Comment

Wait until October.

Comment

Working...
                  X