Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lone Gold Medal

Happy birthday today (Monday) to an Olympic champion who was born on a Monday 45 years ago today.

Our birthday athlete competed in three Olympic Games and won gold in the second of those three Games.

This athlete started out as a basketball player and then turned to track and field.

The country in which this person was born has only one Olympic gold medal in athletics and that medal belongs to our birthday athlete.

I imagine you must know the name of this champion. Please name our birthday champion.

Venusto Nayingabo, or however it is spelled, from Burundi?

Comment

Very good guess, mcgato, but not correct.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
        Happy birthday today (Monday) to an Olympic champion who was born on a Monday 45 years ago today.

Our birthday athlete competed in three Olympic Games and won gold in the second of those three Games.

This athlete started out as a basketball player and then turned to track and field.

The country in which this person was born has only one Olympic gold medal in athletics and that medal belongs to our birthday athlete.

I imagine you must know the name of this champion. Please name our birthday champion.
        How about Ghada Shouaa? Not sure she took part in three Olys though.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato View Post
          Venusto Nayingabo, or however it is spelled, from Burundi?
          Wouldn't he have been a rather short basketball player?

Comment

Saladino?

Comment

Happy birthday today (45) to Ghada Shouaa and nice job, catson52. Shouaa, as you remember, won the heptathlon in Atlanta (1996). Syria has suffered so much since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                Wouldn't he have been a rather short basketball player?
                It didn't say that the mystery person was a good basketball player. For the record, it looks like Venuste Niyongabo, but there is some accent or other over the first e that is not rendering on my computer.
                Last edited by mcgato; 09-10-2018, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato View Post
                  It didn't say that the mystery person was a good basketball player. For the record, it looks like Venuste Niyongabo, but there is some accent or other over the first e that is not rendering on my computer.
                  To be fair to you, if it had been him, he wouldn't have been the first top-class athlete to started their sporting career doing something he wasn't really suited to.

A good example is Steve Backley, a triple Olympic medallist and four time European champ in the javelin who is 6'5" and something like 225 lbs. He started competing for his local club in the UK as a middle-distance runner as his father had been. He only discovered javelin at an inter-club match when one of his club's usual throwers was absent and he 'filled in'. I think he was 14 and at 18 he became European Junior Champion.

Comment

Love the Stephanie Brown-Trafton story of starting as a gymnast and wanting to be Mary Lou Retton. Of course when she grew too big she had to find another sport.

Comment

Working...
                    X