Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympic 1500 Final - Mexico City, Oct. 20, 1968

50 years ago today: Gold - Keino, 3:34.91, Silver - Ryun 3:37.89, Bronze - Tummler, 3:39.08. A nearly three second margin of victory for Keino while suffering an infected gall bladder and having to jog one mile to the stadium. This after he had dropped out of the 10,000 and winning the silver in the 5,000...Ryun ran a brave race as well, running a fantastic time for a non-altitude born runner and recovering from mono. The Kenyans used Ben Jipcho as a rabbit to perfection for 700 meters until Keino took over with 800 meters to go to run away from the world record holder Ryun...Ryun unjustly faced the wrath of American sportswriters who felt he had let down his country...Ryun fell in the 1500 heats in Munich and, despite his protest, was not allowed into the semis. Had he made the final, how would he had fared at sea level against Keino and Vasala? We'll never know...Check out the Mexico City 1500 on Youtube.com. Compare the ABC version with Jim McKay to the BBC version with David Coleman.

Regarding the peripherals in the story behind the Mexico City 1500m, I believe the great Kip....and he was great....was known for telling a tall tale or embellishing things a tad

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiOhio75 View Post
      50 years ago today: Gold - Keino, 3:34.91, Silver - Ryun 3:37.89, Bronze - Tummler, 3:39.08. A nearly three second margin of victory for Keino while suffering an infected gall bladder and having to jog one mile to the stadium. This after he had dropped out of the 10,000 and winning the silver in the 5,000...Ryun ran a brave race as well, running a fantastic time for a non-altitude born runner and recovering from mono. The Kenyans used Ben Jipcho as a rabbit to perfection for 700 meters until Keino took over with 800 meters to go to run away from the world record holder Ryun...Ryun unjustly faced the wrath of American sportswriters who felt he had let down his country...Ryun fell in the 1500 heats in Munich and, despite his protest, was not allowed into the semis. Had he made the final, how would he had fared at sea level against Keino and Vasala? We'll never know...Check out the Mexico City 1500 on Youtube.com. Compare the ABC version with Jim McKay to the BBC version with David Coleman.
      The ABC version is something else, obviously the commentators, including Jim McKay, knew little about track. A stream of comments about how great half milers the Americans are/were, height/weight of Tumbler/Ryun. Until about the 1300m mark, really no thought as to how the race is panning out in front. The BBC version is a classic.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
        Regarding the peripherals in the story behind the Mexico City 1500m, I believe the great Kip....and he was great....was known for telling a tall tale or embellishing things a tad
        Please be more specific about what Keino embellished in connection with the 1968 1500m final.

Comment

I doubt he is celebrating today.

https://citizentv.co.ke/news/former-...rested-215533/

Comment

story posted to our front page yesterday noted that criminal charges had been dropped

Comment

Jolly good...

Comment

Originally posted by catson52 View Post
                Please be more specific about what Keino embellished in connection with the 1968 1500m final.
                The gallbladder infection suddenly disappearing enough to place 2nd in the 5000m and win the 1500m. My guess is he had some stones which needed to pass and that comes and goes. Also the running to the stadium as if running prior to a running event is an issue in the first place. Great stories but I'm not sure about the truth as a complete tale in them.

I'd rather simply look at the 1500m as a great run and leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                  Also the running to the stadium as if running prior to a running event is an issue in the first place. Great stories but I'm not sure about the truth as a complete tale in them.
                  That's exactly what I thought when I read that. World-class milers do way more than jog a mile before a big race. Hell, that wouldn't be a big deal for a sprinter.

Comment

Working...
                  X