Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Event

Our Big Event for October happened 54 years ago today (Saturday). It was a Tuesday and this world record couldn't have come at a better time. The athlete that set this world mark was not from the country in which this record was set. There were no hurdles involved in this record. If you are thinking about the countries involved here (athlete's home country and the country in which the world mark was set), you can forget North America, Africa, and Australia.

What is the Big Event for this penultimate Saturday of October? You must name the athlete and the event. Extra credit if you can give the actual performance.

This was suppose to go on the "Historical" site. I hit the wrong button.
    Last edited by DoubleRBar; 10-20-2018, 03:30 PM.

Dick Fosbury - won HJ gold at Mexico City with 2.24

Comment

Couldn't be Fosbury. According to DoubleRBar, the athlete's home country was not in North America.

Comment

And 54 years ago would be 1964, which would lead to Tokyo. Unless there was another late October meeting in 1964 that I am unaware of.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
          Dick Fosbury - won HJ gold at Mexico City with 2.24
          You're slipping bambam. It needs a WR not an AR, and 2018 -54 = 1964.

Comment

You are on the right track, mcgato. It was 54 years ago today and it took place in Tokyo during the Olympic Games. Another clue to help you with this is that this athlete came from Europe and did not hurdle or compete in any of the jumping events at the Olympics in Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
              You're slipping bambam. It needs a WR not an AR, and 2018 -54 = 1964.
              I just assumed Fosbury since I knew that was 50 years ago yesterday. Didn't read the clues very carefully

Comment

Ann Packer - Tokyo 800 metres - with a WR of 2:01.1 - I read the clues this time

Comment

However it wasn't really a world record since Shin-Kim Dan (PRK) had already broken 2 minutes prior to the Tokyo Olympics

Comment

Because of North Korea's status, the IAAF never ratified her sub-2:00 performances as records. Wiki sez there's also some question about her gender.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin_Kim-dan

Comment

Yes, it was Ann Packer (Great Britain) who won the Tokyo Olympic women's 800 in a world record time of 2:01.1. Good recovery, bambam1729.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                        Because of North Korea's status, the IAAF never ratified her sub-2:00 performances as records. Wiki sez there's also some question about her gender.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin_Kim-dan
                        We know that, but the point is that is was far better than what Packer ran.

Comment

Could it be Mary Rand

Comment

Oops, didn't see the later posts when I guessed wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by rhymans View Post
                              Could it be Mary Rand
                              That was my first guess too. But her WR LJ n Tokyo was 6 days earlier on October 14, 1964.

Comment

Working...
                              X