Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jericho mile

I thought Peter Strauss aka Murphy absolved all distance runners of blame since he ran sub 4 in the penn (not relays.

Re: Jericho mile

Translation, please. What on earth are you talking about?

Comment

Just the greatest TV-movie ever made (1979). I actually have a copy sent by the director, Michael Mann, cuz it ain't exactly on the front shelf of Blockbuster's.

Comment

I appreciate the hint, tafnut, but there are some of us who spend our spare time at track meets and don't have time to watch TV movies, so could you enlighten us further--like what was the name of this wonderful movie?

Comment

Yes, while Jericho Mile is a great movie about a runner, it can't hold a candle to Chariots of Fire.

Comment

>Just the greatest TV-movie ever made (1979). I
            >actually have a copy sent by the director,
            >Michael Mann, cuz it ain't exactly on the front
            >shelf of Blockbuster's.>>

Not available at Amazon either, if you want a new one. They do offer used copies, starting at $29.99

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/st ... 21-8342337

Comment

I get it. The name of the movie is Jericho Mile. I obviously never heard of it, and was thrown off the track (no pun intended) by the fact that mile was lower cased in the subject title. Now that it's clear, I feel like a refugee from Who's on First.

Comment

Chariots of Fire was non-fiction (well, mostly) and it really wasn't about running - that was just the backdrop. Jericho Mile (now badly dated by the horrific 'street slang' used) is the greatest Running Movie - it's about how running sets you free.

N.B. there was an extensive thread on the 'other' board on this subject, but JM does it for me.

Comment

running was more of a backdrop in J.M. C.O.F. was about runners and the Olympics. Jericho Mile wasn't about a runner or runners.

Comment

How was Murphy, a 3:50 miler, not a RUNNER? And the movie was about how RUNNING made him feel free while he was doing time for a 'crime' he didn't regret.

Comment

Didn't say he wasn't a runner. Said it wasn't as much about running as was COF. Prison was more of a backdrop than was his running.

Comment

I've said this before in other forums, if you are a distance type and are having a hard time getting your ass out the front door, I challenge you to sit through JM, particularly the scene of Strauss running to the strains of Sympathy To The Devil, and see if you can resist going out and doing a work-out when it's over. While I certainly enjoyed COF and the Vangelis score, it just didn't do it for me the way JM did. I realize that this is all subjective and maybe it is a sprinting vs distance thing but when you consider that you are comparing a made for TV movie to a big budget Oscar winning film, it is truly amazing that they can even be mentioned in the same breath. I catch JM every time it works it way on to the small screen and haven't seen COF since it came out. Mann gave hints of what was to come with Thief, Miami Vice, Heat and The Insider.

Comment

Have sat thru JM several times. The scene where he ran to "Sympathy For The Devil" was one of the all time greatest running and athletic scenes.

Comment

Best "running" movie ever is Gallipoli with a young Mel Gibson.

Comment

Give me the movie version of Alan Siltoe's 1958 "The Lonelieness of the Long-Distance Runner." Given the art of movie-making in 1962 vs. the "made for television" era or Hollywood's more recent melodrama, I prefer this film's stark realism of how running (particularly long distance running) can serve to define one's personality and provide direction for youth.

From the opening paragraph/scene, I was hooked: "As soon as I got to Borstal they made me a long-distance cross-country runner, I suppose they thought I was just the build for it because I was long and skinny for my age (and still am) and in any case I didn't mind it much, to tell the truth, because running has always made much of it in our family, especially running away from the police. I've always been a good runner, quick and with a big stride as well, the only trouble being that no matter how fast I run, and I did a very fair lick even though I do say so muselt, it just didn't stop me getting caught by the cops after that bakery job."

Of course, the fact that I was given the book as a high school sophomore by an older teammate in the late 60s probably biases me a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X