• Show
Clear All

Re: Jericho mile

>Personal Best, now there is an interesting track
    >movie. Certainly different . . . does anyone
    >know how many of actual competition scenes were
    >the actresses, or were there "track" doubles
    >all over the place ?>>

Patrice Donnelly, who played opposite Hemingway, was an Olympic hurdler. As I recall, Hemingway learned how to do events well enough so that it was really her in most instances. I do recall one of the real athletes saying how hard it was to look real while running slow enough to make her competitive.

Comment

While we're on the subject of track and field movies, let me mention my favorite: Wee Geordie. I haven't seen the movie since it came out in 1956, but it was a great inspiration to me then, and still receives favorable reviews from critics. Best of all, it's about a hammer thrower! check it out.

Comment

(Reviving this thread?)
        Is The Jericho Mile ever shown on cable? I haven't noticed it, and when I saw it many years ago, I thought it was a joke. Peter Strauss, whom I have come to admire/respect from what I've heard about his personal qualities, was simply not believable as a sub-4:00 miler, let alone on dirt in sneakers(?). Just too big and muscular. He was only marginally more believable than Michael Douglas was in the movie, the name of which, blessedly, escapes me, as an Olympic aspirant in the marathon.
        As for the best running movies, they are, hands down, the documentaries. For all the expertise and care in the making of the two Pre movies, the Nike documentary, Fire on the Track, was far superior. Then there is my own personal favorite - the documentary of the '76 Olympic Trials marathon in Eugene. Shorter edging Rodgers and Kardong outfinishing Tony Sandoval for 3rd. Only 30 minutes long but great narration and soundtrack.

Comment

>Peter Strauss,...
          >was simply not believable as
          >a sub-4:00 miler, let alone on dirt in
          >sneakers(?). Just too big and muscular.

Compared to whom? He was smaller than Alan Webb and leaving aside what people on this board are saying about his future, he managed a 3:53. If memory serves, he had a build that was pretty close to Sully's. Keep in mind that there is a long line of even less believable characters in the "distance genre"-my favourite being Michael Landon's made for TV movie about his actual fight with bed-wetting. We are supposed to believe he developed his aerobic base from sprinting home everyday to remove the wet bedsheets his mom used to hang out of his bedroom window which he then parlayed into some kind of distance success, the specifics of which now escape me.

Comment

As for Michael Landon, I read once that he was a state or national high school record holder as a high school javelin thrower... fact or fiction?

Comment

>As for Michael Landon, I read once that he was a
              >state or national high school record holder as a
              >high school javelin thrower... fact or fiction?
              An excerpt from the AMG site:
              "The social pressures brought to bear on young Michael, both at home and in the schoolyard, led to an acute bedwetting problem, which he would later dramatize (very discreetly) in the 1976 TV movie The Loneliest Runner. Determined to better his lot in life, Landon excelled in high school athletics; his prowess at javelin throwing won him a scholarship at the University of Southern California, but a torn ligament during his freshman year ended his college career."

Comment

>Personal Best, now there is an interesting track
                >movie. Certainly different . . . does anyone
                >know how many of actual competition scenes were
                >the actresses, or were there "track" doubles
                >all over the place ?>>
                I recall that there were more than a few "real" track people in the film. Kenny Moore and Jodi Anderson come to mind immediately. I seem to remember a sauna room scene...

I got a bit tired of the Hemingway character's whining, but overall, I thought it was a pretty good film. Remember the scene where they made her smoke some opium or something to relieve the pain of some kind of abdominal attack?!

This was also a fairly groundbreaking movie in that it was a "mainstream" movie which dealt with lesbian lovers. That element alone was more interesting than watching a bunch of guys running down the beach in slow motion. I quickly got sick of hearing that damned Vangelis theme song played during every local road race.

Comment

What other real track athletes have become actors?

I know of some old, old timers: Dennis Weaver (Chester in Gunsmoke, etc.)was supposed to have placed 6th in the olympic trials as a decathlete in 1948. John Raitt was a broadway and movie star singer and father of singer Bonnie Raitt. John R. was a California state high school champ in the shot. Bruce Bennett (who was in Treasure of the Sierra Madre with Bogie and John Huston)won a silver in the shot put in 1928 as Herman Blix, a multi-sport star for the Udub huskies in Seattle. See: http://www.washington.edu/alumni/column ... _brix.html
                  Bruce Dern used to be a legit competitor in road races and marathons. Others? (not counting Carl Lewis!)

Comment

Not an actor(unless you count Dr. Pepper commercials), but an ok javelin thrower in college...Garth Brooks for OU.

Comment

How about Marathon Man with Dustin Hoffman. Although the book was better (as they usually are) the movie was very good as well.

That was the movie that made Dustin Hoffman my favorite actor when I was just a kid.

Gotta love the sceen when they are trying to chance him down after they torture him.

Comment

>I know of some old, old timers:
                        >Dennis Weaver (Chester in Gunsmoke, etc.)was
                        >supposed to have placed 6th in the olympic trials
                        >as a decathlete in 1948. John Raitt was a
                        >broadway and movie star singer and father of
                        >singer Bonnie Raitt. John R. was a California
                        >state high school champ in the shot. >>

Yes, Billy D. Weaver of Oklahoma was 6th in the '48 OT.

John Raitt was born in 1917; one would assume his senior year in HS would have been 1935. There was no shot contested in the Cal State Meet that year! The 1934 winner was Ray Young, the 1936 winner was Joe Hill. (In both those years, the event was "non-scoring")

Comment

GH wrote: "John Raitt was born in 1917; one would assume his senior year in HS would have been 1935. There was no shot contested in the Cal State Meet that year!"

Odd, I show Raitt as winning the Cal state meet in '35, at 55-5 1/4. Had a season best of 55-10 1/4.

Comment

More track athletes turned actor:

Bill Cosby, Paul Robeson, Chuck Connors (high school athlete only, as far as I can tell), P Diddy (high school only), Woody Strode

Comment

Jim Brown was an athlete more than an actor, but he did make a lot of pictures. Besides the football he is known for, he had, for awhile, the Long Island high school scoring record in basketball, high jumped 6'3" in track (straddle or western roll then, of course), and even played some baseball, though one of my friends who played against him said he couldn't hit a curve. And lacrosse, which he played at Syracuse, was supposedly his best sport.

Comment

and do not forget the world's greateast actor, in more ways than one......

THE JUICE !!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X