Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40th anniversary 81'3"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWsD...WRgerCuv_ymi6U

Still, to me, the greatest ever high school track and field performance.

Comment

Absolutely the greatest high school athlete ever! What a fantastic tribute to the man!! Solid track and field gold!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
        Still, to me, the greatest ever high school track and field performance.
        I can't think of a greater one.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
          I can't think of a greater one.
          Where do you rank Jim Ryun's 3:55.3 AR and national championship, beating the reigning Olympic Champion?
          Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants

Comment

Originally posted by Master403 View Post
            Where do you rank Jim Ryun's 3:55.3 AR and national championship, beating the reigning Olympic Champion?
            Great performance, but not as stunning as Carters's. Ryun had run 3:55.8 earlier in the season. Carter's throw was more than 9 feet longer than the previous HS record, and it's still the HS record, unlike Ryun's.

Comment

That is not a great comparison...Ryun ran that on a cinder track and in a competitive race....unlike the current high school record...

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                That is not a great comparison...Ryun ran that on a cinder track and in a competitive race....unlike the current high school record...
                Exactly, Webb was a once-a-generation HS miler, but he was not near Ryun's league.

Comment

Man, what a great documentary... thank you.

Comment

I think this is the furthest 'official' SP of all time. By official, I mean using an implement that an athlete is eligible to use within their relevant age-group, so, for example, Crouser or Walsh putting a 3 or 4K shot wouldn't qualify.

Comment

Webb ran the record at Pre. It was competitive, but not HS.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                        Webb ran the record at Pre. It was competitive, but not HS.
                        I meant Ryun was competitive...i.e. trying and indeed winning...Webb was really along for the ride...both great runs of course....
                        Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-10-2019, 12:28 AM.

Comment

I remain skeptical of the correctness of the measurement of that 81-ft throw.

Comment

I meant Ryun was competitive...i.e. trying and indeed winning...Webb was really along for the ride...both great runs of course....
                            Webb had no chance of winning that race, but he certainly ran down a bunch of serious professional athletes.

https://www.runnerspace.com/news.php?news_id=4629

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
                              I remain skeptical of the correctness of the measurement of that 81-ft throw.
                              Has this mark ever been questioned? I am not aware that people questioned it.

Comment

Working...
                              X